cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web IDE vs Web based development workbench

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I am curious to know what is the difference between Web IDE and Web based development workbench?

Looking for -

1. Basic difference between two?

2. if there are differences, What was the need for these two different things?

3. From which SP stack was these two available?

4. Any other pointers are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Anup

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA was just delivered last week for HANA SPS 11 and it is the primary development tool for XSA and HDI based development.  In the long term it replaces both the HANA Studio and the Web-based Development Workbench for HANA development tools.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your prompt response. However, Web IDE has been existing for quite a long time now or may be I am confused with the names here..

There are courses on OpenSAP like Fiori 2015 which have been utilizing SAP WEB IDE from long time now. So if it was not Web IDE then what was it?

Also, do you mean with Web based development tool we cannot work on XSA and HDI based developments? Could you provide more specific examples related to their difference?

Regards,

Anup

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Then you are referring to the SAP Web IDE and not the SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA - two different products. The SAP Web IDE is a tool for creating SAPUI5 and Fiori applications on HCP.  It doesn't contain any HANA native development capabilities so in that regard it doesn't really have a correlation to the SAP HANA Web-based Development Workbench.

>Also, do you mean with Web based development tool we cannot work on XSA and HDI based developments?

Correct. The Web Based Development Workbench is not compatible with XSA or HDI based development. This is why it is replaced with the SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Super.. Was totally confused with different tools..

So basically we have :

1. HANA Studio

2. Web based development workbench

3. Web IDE for HANA

4. Web IDE on HCP (Only for UI5 related developments)

Do you have any additional links/resources related to difference between 2 & 3 above?

Best Regards,

Anup

m_olson
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Anup for asking the same question that was on my mind.

I'm also wondering where Eclipse fits into the picture -- why would one use Eclipse instead of one of these other development tools?

We are just beginning the project of upgrading to Business Suite on HANA, and I'm researching as much as I can about the new capabilities of the HANA platform.  It's not very clear to me as to why so many different development environments, when to leverage a particular one, and the pros and cons of each.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member194628
Discoverer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.