cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP data archiving- DB saving after archiving calculation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi GURUS

You all must be providing DB savings to your client, which must be adding huge value to all SAP data archiving projects,

Please let me know how do you calculate that. I apologies I have asked the question before also, but I did not get the exact answer.

Any pointers or any Excel sheet calculator will be helpful.

Thank You

Anugrah

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member201157
Participant

we can give only rough estimates, we cannot give exact numbers like 250 GB savings,

its only a rough calculation (approx upto 250 GB) space savings ...that can be provided.

why? because each archive object has different size calculations.

SARA Statistics and spools can help mostly , but also in some cases like IDOC

if you look into an IDOC archiving statistics, the stats are misleading

note: 1513137 - Archive object IDoc - Summary statistics are misleading

cos we are dealing with a cluster table here -EDI40

see the steps in Resolution of this note and you will find some answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

As Karin replied you can provide the space gain from statistics or

take the top table sizes from DB02 t-code before table re-organization  and again take the table size after table re-organization and subtract then you can get the rough gained space (not applicable for SAP HANA system).

Thanks,

former_member201157
Participant
0 Kudos

archiving will take place from many tables, not just 1 header table or top tables from Db02 alone.

there is no one method or excel sheet which can provide answers for space savings.

this is one of the challenges we often face in archiving projects.

another option would be to leverage some of the dashboards from Solution manager DVM Workcenter .

however this will need the managed systems (ex: ECC) to be connected to SOLMAN and also configure various extractors and publish reports.

even with these reports the results are not accurate, as we have tried and gone back and forth with SAP on this.

however with each SP level upgrade looks like they are fixing these bugs.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Deepak - you were already given the correct answer by Bala.  You find the space savings for an archive object within the Statistics.  Use the column called DB Space (Delete) for (Deleted DB Space in MB).  This number is a total value of the other columns DB Table Space (Delete), DB Index Space (Delete) and DB Cluster Space (Delete).

Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You Karin

Is there any alternate method which can be used? or any manual process/calculation you are aware of.

This Deleted DB space is not working for me.

We are using SQLDB and the DB space deleted is sometimes bigger than the combined size of all the tables for deletion

Hence I am looking for an alternate method.

former_member284189
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Easiest and accurate method is to read the summary section of spool output for Write job.  This will have complete statistics including DB size for Tables, Indexes, number of records deleted from tables etc. Very useful for reporting space savings.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you are saying "DB space deleted is sometimes bigger than the combined size of all the tables for deletion"

Can you give a real live example, eventually with screenshots. Explain also how you arrive at your numbers that you compare with the SAP result .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for delayed response. I confirmed with my team and this issue was raised with SAP and the answer we received was, it was designed based on some other DB(Oracle) and We are using SQL db. Do not know the exact technical points given but this was the response received.