Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieval of datawindow crashes PowerBuilder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All -

I am facing a weird issue with PowerBuilder

There is a datawindow which is constructed using a query at compile time, and another query is set to the datawindow at runtime using the Modify function

When I retrieve the datawindow through the PowerBuilder UI, it retrieves just fine

But when I run/debug the application, the moment the dw_name.Retrieve () function is executed, the application just crashes without a warning

I tried creating a datastore with the same dataobject as that of the datawindow, then set the query and retrieve. PB crashes when I retrieve the datastore as well

BTW, the Modify function to set the datawindow query returns an empty string, which means it is successful. The code was migrated to 12.6 recently from 11.2 and the deployment is targeted on 12.6, so, we might not be able to stick with 11.2

I have tried recreating a brand new dataobject with the query, regenerating and optimizing the object, no luck so far

I am puzzled on what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna;

Can you tell us ...

1) Build number of PB 12.6?

2) MS-Windows version?

3) DBMS being used?

4) DB Client being used?

5) Compiling EXE to P-Code or M-Code?

6) If you export the DW source that is crashing ... does it say "release 12.6;" in the 1st line?

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure Chris, here you go

1) Build number: 3506

2) MS-Windows Version: Windows 7 Enterprise

3) DBMS used in the datawindow transaction object: ODBC (thro a DSN connection)
4) DB Client:

5) Doesn't work in the IDE itself, so, haven't tried with EXE yet

6) Yes, it says 'release 12.6' in the 1st line when I edit its source and in the 2nd line when I export it. Is that a problem?

Thanks,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) That is the old original GA build. There have been a "ton" of issues fixed with v12.6 in the slew of EBF's published since GA. These EBF's address many, many issues from the GA release. I am currently running build 4088 myself and I believe that build 4091 may now be the latest.

=> I would highly recommend downloading the latest EBF & applying this to your environment ASAP.

3) That is the answer to #4.  

So what is the DBMS and its version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The DBMS is Teradata, but. am not sure about the version

Also, would I be able to find online and download the latest EBF?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, for TeraData - the ODBC connection is the only connectivity option AFAIK. A bad DB Client driver though can easily crash any application EXE (whether that be PB, Delphi, Xmarain, C#, VB, etc).

=> Do you have any other ODBC drivers you can try?

Since SAP took over PB, to get the EBF's you must have a valid SAP Support plan. If you have this, you can then download the EBF's from here: Go to SAP Service Marketplace Download Center: https://service.sap.com/swdc

Once you login with your SAP Support account - go to Support Packages and Patches - P --> SYBASE POWERBUILDER --> SYBASE POWERBUILDER 12.6

You should see the new patches

HTH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris -

I am wondering how this works for other datawindows and not this one alone

I can see if I can get the latest build, but, is there no way to fix it using the current build? Does point 6 got anything to do with this behavior?

Thanks,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the current build of v12.6 - Suggestions:

1) Add an SQL trace to your application ...

SQLCA.DBMS = TRACE ODBC"

Maybe that can let us see some more of what is going on during the crash.

2) Add a MessageBox ( ) to the SQLPreview event of the DW Control to see the SQL actually being sent.

3) Try a GetSQLSelect () after the Modify () to see if the SQL has indeed changed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chris -

I tried what you said and below are my findings:

1/ Added an ODBC trace and the log had this message in the end

sls_month=03sls_year=2016city_name=ORANGEstate=CArow_rank=19

(05173028): FETCH NEXT: (24.150 MS / 13191.812 MS)

(05173028): *** DBI_FETCHEND *** (rc 100)

I even see the expected rows in the log file

So, from the log, it seems that the retrieval is fine, but, somewhere after that, something screws up and PB crashes. No clue

2/ The SQLPreview event shows the proper SQL

3/ GetSQLSelect returns the proper SQL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Latest update: I just got build 4091 and will try with this build as well and post my findings in this thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you edit the problem DWO source ... does the 1st line read "release 12.6;"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another thing I would to, if that doesn't work, is make a new DW, with just the query and no computes or whatsoever, just ignoring the layout, and see if it works.

I would also mind heterogeneous columns (as in a union) and unusual datatypes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are awesome Chris, the 4091 build works like a charm, hurray 🙂

Not to sound harsh, but, this is one of the stupidest issues I have faced so far in the past 10 years with PowerBuilder 🙂

Pheeewww, out of this issue at last, thanks a ton for your help and support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great news Krishna .... Yipppeeeee!  

=> You are awesome Chris

Can you send that comment to my wife? Fishing season is starting here in Canada and I need all the "brownie" points I can get to for a " you can go fishing anytime dear" IOU card - LOL!  

FWIW: Yes, the GA (initial build) was quite riddled with issues when I first started testing it. What is amazing is SAP's delinquent attention in putting out a proper maintenance release that incorporated all these EBF's. That way, when you download PB 12.6 for the 1st time to use or worse yet, do a trial - that PB works plain & simple. Otherwise, the PB developer or Trial user gets a bad taste and gives up on PB - especially if they do not have a paid SAP Support plan to get EBF's in the first place like you do. We would have never seen this incompetence in the PowerSoft days.

The great news though is that Appeon PB is coming. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lol, I can do that

When probably can we expect Appeon PB?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Appeon's CEO indicated in the last Webinar in March, 2016 that they were planning Appeon PB (<wink>or whatever they call it</wink>) within approximately 9 months of a signed contract. All I know at this time is that the contract from SAP is close.  

Of course, when it comes to SAP "speed" .. we should have seen a signed SAP Contract way back before the end of last summer. That was the statement we got by Sr VP Dirk Bossemann at the PB Conference last May when he said July or August 2015. 

I would assume that one of the 1st things that Appeon will do upon signing the SAP contract is to: a) evaluate their PB deliverables outlined in the March webinar against the current PB 12.6 code; and then b) deliver the promised "Low Level PB Road-map" webinar with the actual dates (Webcast #5).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will they really do something about PowerBuilder?

I would hate to see PB deserted

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check out the 4th video in the webinar series ... "PB High Level Road Map". Appeon has a 5 year development plan and gives you the release by release feature highlights!  😉

Answers (0)