cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESP - changing hostname causes authentication to fail

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm currently working on a proof-of-concept for ESP (so I only have the trial for now), and I'm working in Studio. I'm trying to connect a remote client to the sandbox.

On the connectivity troubleshooting wiki page for ESP (wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBESP/Connectivity), it talks about changing the studio configuration file to contain a valid hostname so that the secondary XMLRPC connection can be made from a remote client. Given the limited scope of my project, I'm trying to do that. Prior to the change, I have no trouble connecting to the cluster with Studio or the command line tools using the built-in (less secure) authentication. As soon as I change the streaming_hostname macro in studio.xml to contain a non-localhost name, the same authentication begins failing with the message:

Authentication failure:Invalid login credentials

Perhaps more surprisingly, if I change the hostname macro back to localhost (and I've tried bouncing the machine afterwards to ensure there aren't any lingering processes), authentication still fails.

Questions:

- Is there a way to "un-break" the Studio authentication?

- Is there some secret sauce to getting remote connections to work with Studio authentication, and/or change the Studio cluster's authentication provider to RSA or something else that can be used with a hostname that isn't localhost? All the docs around changing the auth mechanism seem to reference the "proper" ESP configurations, and I'm having trouble correlating some of the config options back to Studio's config files.

The about page in Studio says I'm using ESP 5.1 SP10.

Thanks

Bob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member217348
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

"On the connectivity troubleshooting wiki page for ESP (wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBESP/Connectivity), it talks about changing the studio configuration file to contain a valid hostname so that the secondary XMLRPC connection can be made from a remote client." :

- I've begun reviewing the information on that wiki page. The article was written with ESP 5.1 SP04 in mind. Since then, there have been some changes to connectivity to the Studio cluster. Specifically, you can no longer connect from a remote machine to the Studio cluster. To connect from a remote machine, you will need to use a non-Studio cluster.

"Is there a way to "un-break" the Studio authentication?":

- I'm working on reproducing your scenario to see if there is a way to do that. Stay tuned...

"Is there some secret sauce to getting remote connections to work with Studio authentication, and/or change the Studio cluster's authentication provider to RSA or something else that can be used with a hostname that isn't localhost? All the docs around changing the auth mechanism seem to reference the "proper" ESP configurations, and I'm having trouble correlating some of the config options back to Studio's config files.":

- Same as my original explanation above, the only way to connect to the local cluster (Studio's cluster) is from the localhost.

If you want to connect to a running cluster from other machines, the cluster needs to be a remote cluster rather than the Studio cluster. So, follow the instructions to deploy and start a remote cluster and node as described in Deploying and Starting a Cluster - SAP Event Stream Processor: Installation Guide for Windows - SAP ....

Note: At the end of step 3 of the procedure for deploying and starting a cluster, notice that if you have not already configured the cluster, your next step is to continue the sequence under Configuring SAP ESP Cockpit -> Granting Permissions.

If you have follow-up questions as you go through the subsequent steps, please use a new post rather than using this one. I'm going to use this one to follow up on your "un-break" question.

Also, in general, please use the to ask technical questions about SAP Event Stream Processor, rather than this SCN.

Thanks,

Alice

former_member217348
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

When I modify the studio.xml file back to use localhost, I am able to run the Studio's local cluster, so I haven't been able to reproduce the behavior you are experiencing.

Can you share a snapshot of what your Studio looks like when you are attempting to connect to the local cluster and it is giving you the error?

Can you share your studio.xml file?

Thanks,

Alice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alice,

I think I found the problem - I was looking over the studio.xml file, and I noticed that I had messed up a macro definition. I fixed that, and Studio connections started working again. Just to be sure, I messed around the macro, and I was able to predictably break and fix the authentication thing. So, the mistake can be chalked up to bleary eyes at the end of a long day.

On a side note, I tried using the docs you provided to stand up a 'proper' cluster, and so far, so good. I'll probably be posting another question in a few days when I manage to break something else.

Thanks for your help.

former_member217348
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

Glad to hear!

Please do remember that when you post technical questions to use the , rather than this one.

Thanks,

Alice