cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Experience & CCleaner on a Windows Server running SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My question:  Is it safe to install the Desktop Experience addon feature on a Windows 2008 server running SAP & Oracle?...

Also, what about CCleaner too is that safe to install and run on a windows server running SAP?

Otherwise how does one do things like disk clean-up?

Thanks

Sophie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sophie

You should reduce as much as possible the applications installed on a server running SAP.

The less applications you have, better your performance are and the lesser updates you get. Some even recommend not installing IE on a SAP server (see here under notes & doc).

The server should be dedicated to run SAP & the DB... no user except the administrator should have the right to log on it.

I do not think that any of the features of Desktop Experience could be useful, you should avoid installing it, this is meant for desktop, not for a server !

CCleaner is not required as its purpose is just to clean the mess created by installing/de-installing applications.

Disk cleanup on such server means DB reorg

If the administrator is working in a clean way there should not be that much of files that should be deleted.

Best regards

2055981 - Removing Internet Explorer & Remotely Managing Windows Servers

Security Guide for SAP on SQL Server 2012

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and all of that makes a lot of sense.

This particular server is actually just running a SAP Sandbox system, however I still wanted to make sure that any optional Microsoft addon software and any third party tools such as CCleaner didn't "mess up" the running of the SAP system even if it is only a sandbox system.

I still think there will be times when you do not need to clear out some Windows temp files, log files, error files etc and doing a  Reorg sounds like a bit of an overkill... besides I always thought a Reorg is for defragging a disk and not for clearing out temp files?

S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh and I will have a look at note 2055981

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There should not be that much of temp files you should take care about.

SAP & Oracle are not really writing that much in the registry nor in the system windows system volume.

Oracle traces & audit files can be managed with Br*Tools

1551504 - Cleaning up Oracle audit files

Clean Up Old Logs and Trace Files with BRCONNECT - SAP Database Guide: Oracle (BC-DB-ORA-DBA) - SAP ...

SAP log files (job logs, btci logs, audit files...) could be managed with cleanup jobs

16083 - Standard jobs, reorganization jobs

Most of the time the wasted space is more a matter of old kernel/patches, copy of log or trace files left in temporary directories.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't recommend to install non certified optimization tools, which are definitely designed for Windows Desktops on Windows Servers!

kind regards

Peter

0 Kudos

I fully agree with Peter: No "optimization" stuff on Windows servers!

Desktop experience can be installed, and e.g. it must be installed, if you want to use cleanmgr.exe (Cleanup Manager) to remove an older Windows version (e.g. you made an OS in-place upgrade) or other Windows system files which are protected by Windows.

Anyway, Desktop experience is not needed for SAP operations.

Best regards,

Kalle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys for the helpful replies