cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing ESP Studio via multiple logins

Former Member
0 Kudos

My client has an environment where more than one person will log onto the Windows based computer where ESP (not SDS) is installed.  But only the user that installed ESP is able to run the Studio.

Is there a way to install ESP so that all users that login to the computer can run Studio?

Also, the client has reported that they have similar problems trying to run the remote server as a Windows service (as documented in Section 4 of the Config & Admin Guide.  It starts when the ESP installer's credentials are used in the service, but it fails when the preferred admin account is used.  I haven't tested this myself yet, but I assume the problem is related to the Studio issue.

Thanks,

Dan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RobertWaywell
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Was Studio installed by a Windows user with Administrator permissions?

remi_astier
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Dan,

We ran into this issue when making ESP studio available in citrix.

The installation was done by an admin, but some folders were created when the first user started eclipse.

The first user changed permissions recursively on the subfolders and then it was fine.

Remi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert & Remi,

First, the user who installed ESP had full administrator rights to the computer.

I had the client set full permissions for all users on the whole %STREAMING_HOME% directory path.  Every file and directory was set recursively.

This fixed the problem with Studio.  Now other users can run the studio and interact with projects in the Run-Test perspective.

However, a more serious problem still persists.  If another user tries to start the remote server (start_db.bat) followed by the server (start_node.bat node1), the database starts, but the server doesn't.  Here's the exception it throws:

Apr 19 2016 13:12:24.421 INFO - SAP Event Stream Processor Cluster Node 5.1.110.00/20151206.1/SP11/winnt/x86_64/64-bit/OPT/Sun, Dec 06, 2015  5:41:30 PM

Apr 19 2016 13:12:24.452 FATAL - CODE_700258 | Could not create database connection factory

1. com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Utils$ExceptionMessage: Failed to create cipher service instance

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Utils.getCipherService(Utils.java:1137)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Utils.getDatabaseConnectionFactory(Utils.java:1193)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Node.initialize(Node.java:217)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.FactoryNode._factory(FactoryNode.java:198)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.FactoryNode.run(FactoryNode.java:935)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.FactoryNode.main2(FactoryNode.java:521)

Apr 19 2016 13:12:24.452 FATAL - CODE_700412 | Factory of new node failed

Apr 19 2016 13:14:11.313 INFO - SAP Event Stream Processor Cluster Node 5.1.110.00/20151206.1/SP11/winnt/x86_64/64-bit/OPT/Sun, Dec 06, 2015  5:41:30 PM

Apr 19 2016 13:14:11.344 FATAL - CODE_700258 | Could not create database connection factory

1. com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Utils$ExceptionMessage: Failed to create cipher service instance

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Utils.getCipherService(Utils.java:1137)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Utils.getDatabaseConnectionFactory(Utils.java:1193)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.impl.Node.initialize(Node.java:217)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.FactoryNode._factory(FactoryNode.java:198)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.FactoryNode.run(FactoryNode.java:935)

at com.sybase.esp.cluster.FactoryNode.main2(FactoryNode.java:521)

Apr 19 2016 13:14:11.344 FATAL - CODE_700412 | Factory of new node failed

They are using the PreConfiguredUserLoginModule authenticator.

The second user can connect to the database via the streamingclusteradmin utility, so that seems healthy.

The client requires that ESP runs as a service, because it will run on a server in a data center with no active user.  They've followed the service procedure as described in the Admin guide, with similar results.  If the person who initially installed the product uses her credentials to run the service, the remote server works.  But if she uses the local system account (which services prefer), then she gets the same behavior where the database seems to be OK, but the server doesn't run.

Any ideas?

TIA.

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a zip file with some logs, but I don't see any way to attach them.  Robert, I'll email them to you.  Maybe they'll help.

remi_astier
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

May I insist with my theory?

Maybe the first execution initiated a keystore file without group permission.

Remi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Remi,

I agree with your theory.  The errors seem to support it.

What do you think will correct it?  Any suggestions will be happily accepted.

Regards,

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Remi-

I am working with Dan and so thought will add to this thread.

I have checked and these files also have permissions for all users of the machine

C:\Sybase51\ESP-5_1\securitykeystore_rsa.jks

I also checked all the config files and the log files. Is there any other thing that I may be missing?

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Remi-

We were able to get the service started by another user successfully. However this does not still work if we try to configure this service to use the localsystemaccount. (Windows 2012 LocalSystemAccount).

Is there anything special that needs to be done to set this up?

Thanks,

Lakshmi

remi_astier
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I forgot which file we changed in citrix, maybe check for something modified recently under
c:\Sybase51\ESP-5_1\studio or in the documents folder(workspace).

Also check

C:\\SybaseESP\\ESP-5_1\\cluster\\keys\\esp1\\cluster.key

Good luck, if we can't provide the solution, at least we can provide moral support !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Remi-

I even tried restarting the windows server after all the files were given permissions.

The ESP Database ( start DB) configured as a windows service to run as windows LocalSystemAccount works, however the ESP Service (start node) configured a a windows service to run as windows LocalSystemAccount does not work. There are no log files, nothing in the windows event logs.

Is there anything else that we need to configure to run ESP Service (start node) as windows LocalSystemAccount?

Thanks,

Lakshmi

RobertWaywell
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

If you have not yet opened a support case for this issue, then please do so. While we are often able to answer quick questions here in the discussion forum, that obviously hasn't worked for this one. Opening a support case will ensure that your issue is properly tracked and will engage the appropriate resources to work through a resolution in a timely manner.

Thanks

remi_astier
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

yes, pass the parameter node1 to the command. It doesn't start otherwise

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes the parameter node1 is given to it.

The same service starts up when the service is started using a domain account.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Robert, I will open a support case as well.