Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precautions for adding new dimensions to an existing model

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

We are trying to add new dimensions to an already existing model that has been in use for 4 years now and I am wondering what are the precautions we need to take before we go ahead.

The new dimensions capture new set of data but the new reports we will be creating will capture the old data and the new data.

Should we create a new model altogether and copy the old data to it or should we just add the dimensions to the existing model?

Regards,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

1) Backup your environment.

2) Export transaction data in flat file at base level of that model.

3) Add new dimension in model

4) Modify transaction data file with addition of new dimension member.

5) Load transaction data.

6) Check all the script logic, data manager scripts, VBA if any need to modify.

Shri

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Shrikant.

When we are uploading the transaction data again, we add only the new dimension members right? Or should we populate it with the new transaction data as well?

I am thinking of uploading the new transaction data separately after loading the old transaction data.

Regards,

David

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Yes, you have to just specify respective member of new dimension.

What do you mean by new transaction data ?

Shri

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Hmm the new dimensions being added also have the transaction data (Budget data basically) and they need to be in the system before we start creating reports.

I am guessing the exported flat file will have the old transaction data and so when we add the new dimensions I thought we could add the transaction data of the new dimensions to that file itself.

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Check below screenshot to understand how to make change in transaction data file.

e.g I have one model which contains 4 dimension. Account, Category, Entity, Time.

In new model I have added PRODUCT dimension.

I am not able to understand what do you mean by new transaction data for new dimension.

Shri

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Okay the transaction data will not have a value in the cells for product dimension. I get it now.

The model say from 2016. Mar will have data with product number 1 like the one in the figure below. This is a new record and I am assuming we have to add such a record separately.

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

If you have old budget for newly added dimension member as shown in your screen shot, then you are correct, you have to load for new dimension member.

One more thing - what about work status ?

Shri

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

We don't have a product for old data so we will be loading whatever was there before (i.e adding the product header but leaving the cells empty as you suggested).

Coming to Work Status, All the Work States for the dimensions in the model are set to NO.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

another question to consider, do you use journals in BPC? If yes then you will have to export the journals separately, then delete all journals from the system, re-create the journal template to include the new dimension and then re-import the journal data in a way that adds a member for the new dimension.

Adding a member for the new dimension to old data-records could also be done in your transformation file without actually touching the ASCII file you created with the export.

If you go with a new model you could use a SQL script to copy the data across without having to use ASCII ex- and imports.

BR,

Arnold

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arnold,

We are not using any journals so we won't need to save them.

Interesting strategy of copying model data using SQL script. Thank you.

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Should we create a new model altogether and copy the old data to it or should we just add the dimensions to the existing model?

This depends below things

1) How much rework on BPF

2) Setting up security.

3) Data flow between other models.

(Creating new model is safe option but more work )

Shri

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

No BPF's. but security and Data flow (basically one logic script that pushes data into another consolidated model) would be similar to the old model.