cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report loads slow with Classic ASP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have many years of experience on Crystal Reports Designer and Sever, but not with the SDK components.

Our client uses very old version of "Crystal Reports XI" (I know the support is ended) on the application that was built in classic ASP.

Environment: Microsoft 2003 server, Crystal Reports XI, SQL Server 2003, Classic ASP

Now, we have migrated the application to a new server. For that I have upgraded the reports to "Crystal Reports XI R2A", The classic ASP application was not upgraded. We have moved it as it is.

New Environment: Microsoft 2008 Server, Crystal Reports XI R2A, Classic ASP

On the new server, the reports are running fine. But the issue is with the performance. When we click on a report from the application, the first page of the report comes instantly and then the progress bar of the report runs for some time, till then the group values are not getting loaded, and the navigation is unresponsive. When the progress bar stops, then we are able to navigate to the groups. Screenshot attached.

I have checked the designer and database, the query fires instantly and getting data.

Can anyone help me, what would be the problem for the slow loading of the report?

Thanks,

Anil.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

That was the nature of XI R2, first page generated quickly but then when navigating to the next page is when the report actually starts processing everything.

May help if they rebuild using the XI R2 runtime..

Moving to Legacy SDK forum also

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply. You mean re-designing reports in the new environment would help? can you please clarify how we can use XIR2 runtime.

Thanks,

Anil.

0 Kudos

No I meant since you did not recompile once upgrading to XI R2 to do so, or that's how I read it...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone faced this issue? have any thoughts?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a number of things to consider, though do member the original answer from Don...

Database?

Is there a newer DB client?

Limit the data?

Page N of M on the report?

Subreports?

If you enter the search term 'crystal performance' in the search box in top right corner, you will get 100s of KM assets - from KBAs to Blogs, DOCs and more. You can obviously limit the search by perhaps entering the database name, etc., etc.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for your suggestions. Our reports are quite simple with out any sub reports. The reports in the current production system are running instantly.

Yes we have upgraded the database from MS SQL 2003 to 2008 R2.

Filters are available

Yes Page N of M is used---(I have removed and tested, no luck)

No Sub reports

The reports in current production system (Windows 2003 Server, Crystal Reports XI, Classic ASP, MS SQL 2003) are running fine.

The new environment is on Windows 2008 Server, Crystal Reports XIR2A, MS SQL 2008 R2, Classic ASP)

I don't have any knowledge on SDK components/Classic ASP and not sure where to start debugging the issue. From reports perspective I don't see any issue. Any chances of compatibility issues? with the java viewer? with the XIR2A version?

Any thoughts?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Problem is I don't remember if CR XIR2 supported MS SQL 2008 (it probably did), but...

Since you get good performance on one box and not on the server, you may want to use the Modules Utility and compare the runtimes - specifically the database client, but other runtime also (system, CR). Modules can be downloaded from here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip

- Ludek