Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Contact Centre - errors when attempting to install 7.0.9.0

former_member290821
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello again,

Could anyone advise on why this error might arise when trying to install Service Pack 9. It reports that the file is being used by another process but I'm at a loss to establish what process that is....  no clues in the logs.  Have tried rebooting the servers to clear any connections.  Components of the VUs are set to inactive.  The Website and Integration elements have (apparently) now got SP9 (I had to stop IIS to get those to update) and under HAC nodes those items are showing at 7.0.9.0 and reported success in installing the SP.  However, their VUs still show 7.8.100...

It would be so nice if this error told me what 'process' exactly is using the file and which file is it?  Is the one that's in the installation media or the one on the application server...

I'm running the installation with an account that is admin on the server, SQL and HAC node.

Database server has taken the service pack without problems.  IA was upgraded on both app and db servers before running the SP and base installation changed, etc as per the Upgrade Guide.  I've followed all the instructions to the letter.

Any advice on troubleshooting would be most welcome!  This is driving me nuts 🙂

Thanks,

Adele

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adele,

It's saying that bcmcs.exe cannot be replaced. I think it tries to say that the virtual unit you try to upgrade is still running (active) and it should be inactive.

You can easily check if the process in running from Task Manager -> Processes -> in W2012 you see Connection Server (32bit) and in older if I remember right it's bcmcs.exe.

The recommendation is inactivate virtual unit from IA, but if that fails you can kill the process. If you kill that 5 times it will set virtual unit to failed state in IA. To get it running again you need to mark the VU as repaired in IA.

Jukka

former_member290821
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jukka,

Thank you very much for this quick reply.  I have all of the VUs set to inactive.  I managed to get the AdminFrontEnd service packed after several attempts at stopping the bcmsc process as you advised above.  I am now trying to update the Administrator but this is also failing. Again it is warning that several executables are in use - I keep trying to stop them but the problem is that the processes just keep restarting every time I end them. Surely there must be some way of suspending the application whilst the service pack goes on? I have gone through every separate component and set them to be inactive. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.

Could you (or anyone else) suggest any further things I might try?

Many thanks,

Adèle

former_member290821
Participant
0 Kudos

Bit more information to add to this....

I've now managed to get all of the VUs updated.  To do this, I had to create a batch file using taskkill (to kill the multiple processes that were in use) and just kept running this in an elevated command window over and over again whilst applying the changes to the Contact Centre system!  Bit crazy but it worked.

The exact commands were as follows:

taskkill /f /im wmrs.exe

taskkill /f /im wsipgw.exe

taskkill /f /im etc.exe

taskkill /f /im agentserver.exe

taskkill /f /im webclient.dll

taskkill /f /im datacollector.exe

taskkill /f /im directoryserver.exe

taskkill /f /im wcem.exe

taskkill /f /im chatserver.exe

There must be an easier way to do this...

Adele

former_member187604
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adele

sorry to hear of the extra hassle. As to "Surely there must be some way of suspending the application whilst the service pack goes on", usually inactivating the VU's in IA does exactly that. Using taskkill should not be necessary. Sounds like there would be something out of ordinary in your setup. Perhaps you should create an incident (attaching the structure file and HAC and IA logs) to help verify a healthy system?

If you try to set the role of a VU to inactive, does anything actually happen? Does the VU reach the inactive state? Do the processes disappear from the tasklist when IA shows the VU is inactive? Are there corresponding lines in the HAC log?

Hope the problem gets sorted out soon for you,
BR
-Lasse

former_member158363
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adele,

from your symptoms it looks like some authorization problem. Did run your "mass taskkiller" under the same user which is used for running HAC service? And what about, you know, Apply changes to local host versus Apply changes to hosts? 😉

Regards,

Dawood.

former_member290821
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello again Lasse and Dawood,

Just thought I'd add some notes to this discussion even though it's all resolved now, to answer your unanswered questions which may help others in future. 

I did eventually get SP9 installed - using the taskkill operation as described in previous post. 

With regards to the authorisation - all of the Contact Centre VUs, processes, services, servers, etc run under one and the same Windows domain account - the account is admin on the servers and also Sys Admin on SQL and DBO on all of the databases. The password for this hasn't changed since we originally set up the servers. I was logged directly on to the application server with this account during the upgrade.  I tried explicitly running Infrastructure Administrator as admin also. 
I do not think it was a permissions error preventing the VUs from inactivating. 

The VUs remained as 'inactivating' even when left overnight...  they never reported 'inactive' as their status.

Apply to Hosts was always greyed out.

I agree that perhaps our system needs a health check. We still have some issues with our out-of-hours voicemail too for we are hoping we might be able to arrange some consultancy, so perhaps we could include general health checks as well. 

Thank you, as always, for your help and advice with this.

Best wishes,

Adèle

Answers (0)