Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk User Creation - MemberAccess

former_member244885
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have ~1000 users to create which will all have similar access.

Is there a way to bulk import many users at once?  I'm thinking a SQL script that hits the following tables:

tblUsers

UserProfile

UserTeamProfileAssign

UserTeamAssign

...or something similar

I've looked into the following

Go to Admin Console > Users > Add new user, select my Domain from the drop down for "Available Domains" > Select Custom Filter:
Enter UserIDs as a list of semi colon separated IDs

This created all the users and I was able to click through and associate them with the correct teams.  I was also able to associate them with a “User” task profile.

The remaining portion however is a bit daunting.  I need to create a 1:1 user to Data Access Profile, where each user will have specific security rights to specific business orgs and projects.

Does anyone have a method for bulk creation and association of users of/to "Data Access Profiles"?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JohnL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
former_member244885
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks John,

This helped me to get the Data Access Profiles created, which basically takes care of this insert:

INSERT INTO Profiles ( ProfileID, ProfileDesc, ProfileClass,ProfileDefault)

INSERT INTO UserTeamProfileAssign ( IsATeam, UserOrTeamId, ProfileID  )

I still have the MemberAccess to figure out.  The import didn't get into that level of detail with the Data Access Profiles Import/Export.

You can see what I'm investigating by going to: Admin Console > Modify DataAccess Profile > Access

I believe these boil down to the following inserts:

INSERT INTO dbo.MemberAccess (ProfileID, App, Dimension, Member,RW)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

the tables involved are

[dbo].[MemberAccess]

[dbo].[Profiles]

[dbo].[tblUsers]

[dbo].[Teams]   

[dbo].[UserProfile]   

[dbo].[UserTeamAssign]

[dbo].[UserTeamProfileAssign]

Regards

Roberto

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member244885
Participant
0 Kudos

Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Admin Console > Security > Users > Add new user, select the Domain from the drop down for "Available Domains" > Select Custom Filter: Entered a list of semi colon separated users
  2. Clicked through to associate them with the correct teams
  3. Associated them with a “User” task profile
  4. Admin Console > Security, Import/Export Security.  Click Import, Data Access Profiles, Browsed to a tab delimited text file with this header:
    PROFILE NAMEDESCRIPTIONUSER
    (This creates the Data Access Profiles)
  5. Last, ran a generated script to setup the member access.  It looks like this:
    INSERT INTO dbo.MemberAccess (ProfileID, App, Dimension, Member,RW) VALUES (...)
former_member244885
Participant
0 Kudos

So it looks like this mostly worked, except I had to "modify data access profile and  skip to finish and apply before the access would take affect.

As much as I can tell, I could also run the following to accomplish the missing piece.

EXEC up_ParseUserProfile @UserID

EXEC up_ParseAcsTable @ProfileID

EXEC up_ManageSecurityFunction

EXEC up_ParseAppAccessTable N'', 0

...I'm just not entirely sure what these stored procedures do, and if it's safe to force it through the back-end like this.

If anyone could fill in the missing pieces...

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

after updating the tables above I think your work is finished, just do a full dimension process of all dimensions and a modifiy application/model with process application and reassign sql index checked,

as I know these functions use also the stored procedures you have listed above.

Don't know if it's safe to force the stored procedures, I would leave it to use by bpc functions when needed.

Regards

Roberto