cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PCM Copying Structures and Rules between models

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. How can I copy the cost center and other dimension structure and some rules stored in an old model to a newer model, Will it work?

Structure

Cost Center

Account Groups

Activities

Rules

Activity Driver

Revenue Type

I appreciate any help with this and my other questions. I hope I am not asking too much. Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

To copy some parts of a model into another model, you'll want to go to Model > Export.  This will open the "Export" window.  From here, you can choose from the tables you need.

Structure (ParentChild and Alias):

From the export screen, you can export the dimensions you wish to migrate to an XML file.  You will want to choose ParentChild and possibly Alias, if you need aliases as well.  Then, click on the 2nd tab of the Export window, and make sure that only the dimensions you wish to wish to migrate to your new model are selected.  The file type of the export file must be XML.  You will be prompted to select file type when you click the export button after configuring your export.

Rules:

You unfortunately cannot export rules piecemeal.  It's all or nothing.  Export your rules file to a separate XML file.  From there, your best bet is to carefully delete the nodes from the XML that you do now wish to migrate to your new model, then save the edited XML file.

Importing XML

In your new model, go to Model > Import.  Select your previously exported XML files from your old model, and import them.

Tips (Be safe!):

1.) Make a copy of your new model prior to importing anything into it, especially if you're going to manually edit XML.  There's no undo on a data load.

2.) Depending on the number of rules you need to migrate, and your comfort with editing XML, you may want to just manually copy the rules onto your clipboard & then paste them into the correct locations in your new models.

Parting Thought:

Depending on what you're using the Revenue Types for, and whether or not you have an eventual desire to export results from this model into a file or a different system, you may want to refactor a little bit to modify your model and handle the logic that's currently in Revenue Types in Cost Objects & Activity Drivers.  If you have a lot of Revenue Type rules and/or a large model, you may find that it's very slow to export results from your Revenue Type cube.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael Rea's answer is beautifully succinct and answers the point. Nothing I can add. Please give him the credit.