cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space required for EHP7 upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

we have a proposal for EHP7 upgrade. while reading the master guide, I have seen the below table in it. I Couldn't understand the space requirement for shadow instance at file system, Requesting you all can advise me from your previous experience.

Regards,
Damdoar Sallarm

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The SUM directory is the one which will host the shadow instance as well. There should be enough space in the SUM directory for the shadow instance files like kernel, traces/logs, profiles along with the tool. The transport file-system should contain enough space to extract the patches/archives required for the EHP7 update. The downloads directory space is based on the amount of files downloaded for the EHP7 update.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the inputs, Upgrade is completed successfully.

Regards,

Damodar Sallarm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subham/Ajay,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I will get back if there are any quires on it.

Regards,
Damodar

ajay_kalra2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Shadow System resides inside SUM directory itself, So you have now:

/usr/sap/<sid>/SUM ------> SUM Directory

Space required for this : 20 GB (Base requirement) + Size of atleast "/usr/sap/<sid>" i.e. the Main instance for shadow.

As a rough estimation for SUM Directory, I take atleast 50 GB for SPS Updates and 80 GB for release upgrades.

Apart from this, All SP updates, Patches, DVDs that you need based on the upgrade goes into the download directory --- It is the size of your downloads from service marketplace itself so easy to see.

and /usr/sap/trans (DIR_TRANS) --- Atleast 20 GB free. (According to my experience make the free space more than the size of downloads. Guide mentions 20 GB as they have estimated the size of downloads the same too.

Warm Regards,

Ajay Kalra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for the above information. The above requirement is irrespective of database size. Because we have systems with 1TB and 300GB. Is the shadow instance size is going to be same for the both system. can you please clarify.

Regards,
Damodar Sallarm

Shubham1
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/software-logistics/blog/2014/04/02/sum-introduction-t...

Hello

During EHP5 to EHP7 upgrade there were few SAP notes which we had refereed.

Sharing these notes as it may be useful for you as well.

SAP Note 21893 ,941735 , 1584228.

Also sharing a blog link which helps us understand shadow system concept.

- Shubham

ajay_kalra2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Damodar,

The above space requirement is for the Filesystem part -- The space needed for logs, Shadow profiles, and executables etc. on FS level only.

For DB level, the SUM shall evaluate the tablespace layout/DB size and let you know during the checks phase if you shall need to create new tablespace using DB tools with appropriate sizes. DB level requirements are seperate from the FS level requirements. Also, if using nZDM (Near zero downtime), additional DB free space requirements are there that should be referred from the guide.

Warm Regards,

Ajay Kalra