cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OData Service via MDX for BEx Query - Hierarchy Support?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have created/defined an OData Service by using the following tutorial:

MDX 2.0 is used.

I am able to view the XML results from the service:

/sap/opu/odata/WSV/CAS_BEX_QUERY_TEST3_DG_SRV/

/sap/opu/odata/WSV/CAS_BEX_QUERY_TEST3_DG_SRV/$metadata

But now I have a difficulty finding out whether Hierarchies which are activated in the BEx Query are available through the generated OData Service automatically or not, if not what needs to be done, so that the Hierarchy data is also available through the OData Service?

Final Goal: displaying data from a BEx Query Hierarchy in a UI5 app with Table - Breadcrumb component.

We have NW 7.3 not NW 7.4 yet, so we cannot use the option in BEx Query Designer "Extended > Release for External Access > By OData" which I heard (not tested myself) that supports Hierarchies, 1941751 - ODataQuery - Features and Limitations for SP06.

If we want to build a UI5 App (Reporting/Viewing data) where our BW Hierarchies can be accessed and we already have BEx Queries, but the System with BEx Queries is on NW 7.3, what are the possible options to build an OData Service which would deliver the Hierarchical data?

I have found the following SAP Note: 1574568 - SAP NetWeaver Gateway 2.0 - Known Constraints

Under: 22. (SP4 onwards) BW integration via MDX it states: Hierarchy is not supported

Can somebody confirm from own experience, whether I understand it correctly: if we created an OData Service based on MDX <> BEx Query, then we do not have access to the Hierarchies?

What options exist if we need access to the BW Hierarchies (Multiprovider, InfoProviders Cubes, BEx Queries, Hierarchies with Hierarchy Node Analysis Authorizations is what we are dealing with)?

Thank you for your insights!

Best regards

David

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I am also trying to implement hierarchy of bex query through odata in SAPUI5. but i am not able to get the hierarchy technical name of bex query in odata. Did you get any solution. Please help me.

Regards,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Creating an ODATA Service for a BEx Query via MDX or MDX 2.0 definitely doesn't Support BW Hierarchies out of the box, this has been confirmed by SAP.

It is possible to build a workaround solution, but it is not really best practice and gets more complex the more complex the Hierarchy is. The ideal Hierarchy would be one, which doesn't contain text nodes and doesn't contain external characteristics and the Node values have their own value stored in your InfoProvider so that it is not created by standard aggregation through the hierarchy but if you would be using the BEx Query in RSRT, BEx Analyzer, BO Reporting tools, you would use the setting in the BEx Query: no aggregation along the Hierarchy.

- So ideally having a nice easy Hierarchy (doesn't matter how many levels, or if balanced/unbalanced, you can work with that in your Fiori UI5 app)

- Writing the values about parent & child nodes ids from the hierarchy table into your InfoProvider so that they are available as Characteristics in the BEx Query and then later available separately in your OData Service

- Changing/adjusting your BEx Query (for example all new hierarchy relevant technical characteristics must be in the Rows section), so that you can have your regular data, but also the information about parent/child ids, and still get the correct values for your key figures (actually you can deactivate the hierarchy in the BEx Query, because it is not recognized/ignored by MDX 2.0<-->OData)

So you would need to adjust: Hierarchy, Datamodell and BEx Query, for this workaround solution to work.

BEx Query > External Access by OData - the OData Service is created automatically and it also supports BW Hierarchies (but still limitations exist). We have not tested this because we couldn't upgrade our SAP NW ABAP Backend Server to v 7.40 or higher yet.

See sap note for some Hierarchy limitations when using the "by OData" access: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1906173/E

Regards,

David