cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of sql db upgrade on crystal report

0 Kudos

hello experts,

we are using crystal report 2011 and sql 2005 as reporting db and have around 50 reports with this set up.

now we plan to upgrade to sql 2008, hence i want to know how it would impact the existing crystal reports.

.- post upgrade what are the action (db update, set db location etc.) would be required so that reports are running as usual.

thank you.

Devendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Devendra,

Assuming everything in the new database (like tables/fields etc) are same as the old one, I don't really see any discrepancies with the upgrade.

You might want to make sure that the database driver being used is the 'SQL Server Native Client 11.0 driver'.

If the existing reports are based off of an ODBC connection, you'd only need to point the ODBC to the new database. This should have minimum to no impact on the report and wouldn't require changing datasource in the report too.

-Abhilash

0 Kudos

Actually the Native 10 driver is shipped with SQL 2008.

It can be a problem depending on which driver you used in CR, ODBC or OLE DB.

If ODBC then just update your DSN to use the Native 10 client dll, if OLE DB then nothing needs to be updated but I would recommend Verifying each report after manually updating the connection info. It's only 50 reports so should be quick.

What this will do is verify the user has access to the tables, lot's of security changes in 2008, and the DB driver may have been updated as well. MDAC drivers are not 100% supported with newer DB Servers according to MS.

Don

Answers (0)