Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report to be sent to a shared location

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

BPC 10 NW

There is a report on BPC server which contains several tabs (say 10 sheets containing 10 different EPM reports). This report needs to be transferred to a shared location (which can be accessed from BPC server). Now before transferring this file, I need a mechanism by which the underlying data first gets refreshed on BPC server and after that report containing the latest data is copied over to the shared location. This entire process of opening report/refreshing it and then copying to shared location needs to be automated.

What are my options, any help is appreciated?

Regards,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What about standard Book publication?

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

So let's say I use book publication to distribute this template (10 reports within) and try and save it onto the shared folder using book publication. So whenever I run this distribution, the data will get refreshed in the report and report will get saved to the target folder? What if I have to schedule the process say twice a day?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please, try yourself It's possible to schedule book publication but the scheduled job require the workstation to be running! It's not a server schedule...

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

It is more than just sending this file to shared location. This file needs to be sent regularly during reporting period say twice a day or so. And then, let's say the file name is ABC.xls, then the recent file which is sent always needs to be named ABC.xls and after the file is sent, a copy needs to be created and renamed along with timestamp.

1. Send file named ABC.xls

2. Create a copy and rename it as ABC_28042016_1603

3. Next file comes in again with name ABC.xls and overwrites previous file.

4. Repeat step 2.

This is how the process needs to be set up. I believe it is  much more than book publication.

Any thoughts?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can schedule another windows job (not related to BPC publication) just to rename file to different name and location. Schedule this job after publication completed. Please talk to your windows server administrators - simple script/bat will do the job! Or you can run the script that will check for file in some folder in the loop and when found - move this file to another folder and create also renamed copy.

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I have knowledge on Windows task scheduler, so that part is easy. I think a combination of book publication and windows task could be a way forward.

The only worrying part is can portal publication be scheduled to run automatically say after every time data manager package is run for consolidation?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"run automatically say after every time data manager package is run for consolidation" - no, it's not possible! Even using VBA you can't launch book publication automatically!

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But I believe we can at least schedule the publication to run at a specific time, say I want to execute twice every day? I will do some test but trying to gather as much info as possible before hand.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can schedule the publication. Just try yourself!