cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore comments only

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

is there a way to restore only the comments (and work status) from the metadata backup zip file?

This doesn't work via UJBR as the environment evidently already exists. It is possible to restore transactional data IN an existing environment. Seems odd that this is not possible for comments and work statusses...?

many thanks for any suggestion,

Christophe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you explain the requirements in details? What do you want to achieve? Why not to restore the whole environment?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vadim,

the reason is that during an upgrade of BPC, the comments, work status, controls and journals are not visible anymore. The info however is the backup files.

A full restore is time consuming as there is a huge amount of data, also it is an untested procedure in the overall migration. 'New' approaches are not allowed any more. We also found notes 1680652 and 1704092, but again, too late now and unclear if the UJA_REG_TBL_TADIR will actually restore all our data and again, this is a procedure that we couldn't test on the other systems as we faced a lot of different problems there, now is the upgrade of a test system and over a few weeks prod. You can imagine that we need to resolve the latest problem without altering the entire approach. Hence a partial restore as an incremental low risk solution and not time consuming.

The tables are probably lost due to migration of BW to 7.4 and related upgrade of BPC from the CPMBPC 800 to 801.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you have to go with full restore anyway... If your see that you lost some tables, may be you lost also some other... As a result you can end with a corrupted system.

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies Vadim. In a way, I agree, but migration so far passed UAT testing;

Question then would be if is it guaranteed that if we take a BPC backup from an unmigrated system and restore it to a migrated system that all the tables will be there?

We know that we 'lost' all 'additional' BPC tables; like controls, work status, journals and comments.

For all but the comments we have a tested workaround. Passed UAT testing. Only 'new' problem is the comments. If this were a dev system I'd definitely go for the restore to verify the answer on the top question here. Is it guaranteed that it will be ok?

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nobody will guarantee you

But you have to test full restore!

"We know that we 'lost' all 'additional' BPC tables; like controls, work status, journals and comments" - it's a high risk that something else is not working.

What is your source and target BPC and BW versions/sp?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let's see what happens if we restore only metadata and master data to a new environment on the dev system. Shouldn't be that time consuming.

I'll try and convince project leads. We are sure that everything else is working as we had a full scope testing of all functionalities,script,... in all models. Hence their hesitation for this extra step (in dev, a restore failed, which is an additional reason to try and avoid the delete, restore)

That's why we wanted a quick workaround for the comments, which is the only open point on the agenda. EPMsavedata is an option, but not the best solution. Quite unfortunate that the restore of comments only is not possible.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"We are sure that everything else is working" - sorry, but you can test only existing processes. What happens if after few months you will try to implement something new and will find that it's not possible? It's a bad idea to migrate with a lot of issues and then manually recover visible ones. You have to start from the very beginning!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand your concern. I can confirm that I tested the creation of all possible new objects. We can create  dimension, models, scripts, import new masterdata (objects), ... All working and transportable..

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"I can confirm that I tested the creation of all possible new objects" have you checked all tables BPC use???