cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Screenpainter produce forms that look alike for all screen resolutions?

leon_laikan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, everybody

We develop add-ons using VB.NET and SDK.

All our programs are entirely written in code, and we never use any visual tool like Screenpainter.

Why? Because we started programming using the SDK samples provided in the help files, and got used to programming entirely in code.

But we got a very annoying problem, and never found a satisfactory solution on the forum.

The problem:

When we develop a form on Computer A, the form looks perfect.

But when we view the form on another computer B (with a different screen), the form is very distorted.

How we solved the problem:

The only satisfactory solution we found was to calculate the screen resolution and express all dimensions and positions as a % of that screen resolution.

It solved most problems.

But there is a situation where our method fails:

It's when an item falls on a quadrant line. It is shifted to the right or down, depending.

Then, our only recourse is to redesign the screen so as to avoid making the objects fall on the quadrant lines.

But sometimes this is not possible because of lack of space.

Our Question:

If we use Screenpainter to design our form, do you think our problem will be solved?

I mean: will the screen look the same for all resolutions, or will we still have the Quadrant problem?

I don't know anything about Screenpainter (yet), so I need your opinion before learning Screenpainter and rewriting everything ....

Normally, our forms are quite complex, incorporating Static Texts, Edit Boxes, Option Buttons, Choose From Lists, etc, etc.

Can Screenpainter do all the things that we do with code?

Thanks for any advice.

Leon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

maik_delly
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

to answer your question in one word : no.

First of all forget about screenpainter ... please.

SAP B1 Studio is a good tool to create forms easily, but don't think it is possible to use rectangles ( I guess this you mean by quadrants ? ).

It has some downsides and one in particular is the missing support for different font sizes.There are some "tricks" ( not really, more likely good practise ) like leaving enough space and link all items to each other . Apart from that you will need to rearange items in resize after event.Especially rectangles, since they are not auto resized ( I think Eric had a good solution to that ).

Nowadays I create forms in B1Studio, export them to srf format, include them using LoadBatchAction, rearange items in resize after and listen to events the "old" way.

Just my 2 cents..

regards,

Maik 

leon_laikan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Maik

Thanks a lot for your reply.

What I mean by Quadrants is explained in the attached picture.

It is a strange and annoying phenomenon. I don't know if you noticed it before.

Tell me:

If I use B1Studio,

• Will it solve the Quadrant Problem? i.e will SAP move my objects if they happen to fall on a quadrant line?

Best Regards,

Leon

maik_delly
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

now I understand what you mean.

If you use the LinkTo property of the "moving" buttons to link them to an item ( preferably left upper side ) they won't move.

regards,

Maik

leon_laikan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Maik,

Thanks for your useful tip.

I'll try to do an effort to learn SAP B1 Studio.

Best Regards,

Leon

ANKIT_CHAUHAN
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

You can start from here about SAP Business One Studio:

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwip...

There are many videos on Youtube also that you can follow.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

ANKIT CHAUHAN

SAP Business One Global Support

leon_laikan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for your reply.

Sure, it's high time for me to start learning SAP B1 Studio if that can help.

Best Regards,

Leon

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185682
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

Firts of all, I suggest you to use B1DE studio, provided by SAP that came to replace the screenpaint.

If we use Screenpainter to design our form, do you think our problem will be solved?

I mean: will the screen look the same for all resolutions, or will we still have the Quadrant problem?

I don't know, but I never had problem using B1DE studio. But my clients have resolution very seemed.

I don't know anything about Screenpainter (yet), so I need your opinion before learningScreenpainter and rewriting everything ....

I don't know if it is necessary rewrite your forms, but I suggest that your new forms are writen in B1DE, exported as a srf file, and when you create your FormCreationParams, you should use your file in the XmlData property in FormCreationParams.

Normally, our forms are quite complex, incorporating Static Texts, Edit Boxes, Option Buttons, Choose From Lists, etc, etc.

Can Screenpainter do all the things that we do with code?

Yes you can(B1DE), and your forms will be open more quickly if you use the suggestion that I wrote above.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Diego Lother

View Diego Lother's profile on LinkedIn

leon_laikan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Diego

Thanks for your reply.

I have taken good note of your suggestions.

What is the easiest way to learn B1DE?

Best Regards,

Leon

former_member185682
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

How I only draw my forms, I use B1 Studio only, I not use integrated in Visual Studio.

I didn't read any article. I think B1 Studio intuitive to draw forms. A image about it:

Just drag and drop the controls to the form and set the properties in the botton right panel.

P.S: This is the information I have, if you need more details maybe someone in this board can helps you.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Diego Lother

View Diego Lother's profile on LinkedIn