cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding MDG-implementation (high-level): Data Migration required?

former_member298052
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi there,

mit customer has a ERP (ECC 6.0) and will implement now SAP Master Data Governance.

I understand that the MDG System will be installed in the same box like ERP.

My limited understanding of MDG is that MDG checks data that key user create or modify according to defined rules and that a workflow will be triggered and the creation/modification has to be released by another user before it will be stored in the productive system. So during creation/modification release process the data is in a kind of MDG-staging area and after approval/release it will be stored in the productive environment.

Is my understanding correct?

Furthermore I would like to know if there is a initial download or a data Migration required from the productive System to the MDG staging area.

Because MDG-environment will be empty after implementation and the ERP productive system that has to be checked by MDG is full of master data as it runs since many years.

I would really appreciate if someone could explain me the big picture.

Thanks!

Andrzej

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Binoy
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andrzej ,

I am understanding that you are looking at implementing a co deployment strategy where MDG will get co deployed on ECC . In this scenario MDG data will get stored in the same ABAP tables/structures as that of ECC . Yes , as you mentioned data is enetered by a "Requester" and as per the workflow design it moved up for review with a steward or approval stage with a approver .

Before the final activation is approved data remains in "Staging " area and is not available in ECC tables . For a co deplyement your data is already available as ECC has been around for years in your case and for future needs SAP MDG has MASS Update options to consider . But I think from an initial load perspective you may not need to worry at all.

Please read through SDN famous blogs

and this should give you a better understanding of MDG deployement strategies and Governance factors to consider . I hope this helps .

Binoy