cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat File Issue - UTF-8

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a tab delimited Flat file input in my BODS job with UTF-8 encoding. (See attachment what it looks like)

But when i pass through a target table, the data/string is having extra spaces "    ".

I cant figure out whats suppose to be the problem..

Please help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Charity,

Some where when defined the flat file format you may given it as fixed length defaulted so that BODS auto padding with blank spaces to maintain fixed length.

Please check the flat file format or any where if you opted for fixed length for columns

Check also ,whether kept CHAR or VARCHAR as data type??

Thanks, ..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Don't know why is it happening but you can add rtrim_blanks() function in query transform to remove it.

thanks,

Pravi

0 Kudos

Yes, this is what i do.. but still dont figure out whats the flat file issue..

This is originally an excel file.. then I saved as txtfile with UTF-8.. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check whether your source file has extra spaces.

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Charity,

Can you save the excel file as a CSV file. It seems that there are spaces in the excel file which is added to the text file.

If you want to save the excel file in to a text file then make sure that there are no spaces when you copy the data in to a text file

Regards

Arun Sasi

0 Kudos

I already delete those spaces manually.. and also tried to convert to CSV but failed to capture UTF-8 encoding as i saved it. I also tried to import the text file in excel, saved as CSV but now having encoding issue.

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Charity,

What kind of data are you trying to load. I see that the characters are unicode. Try changing the Code Page of the File Format to code page(US-ASCII) of data which is compatible with the Target database.

For example, the Japanese code page contains ASCII, Greek, Cyrillic, and Japanese characters, thereby supporting the English, Greek, Russian, and Japanese languages

For more details refer DS 4.2 Reference Guide.

Hope this helps!!

Regards

Arun Sasi