cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal reports server 7 export hang

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an issue where some reports, when exported to any file format and saved on disk, hang and later on crash the application pool.

This issue started to appear more frequently in the last month event though no major changes were done to the report mechanism.

It manifested itself a few day ago one again but disappeared as unexpectedly as it appeared.

I wish to see if an update to the product may provide a more permanent solution.

Does anyone have any idea (a) how to determine the exact version of Crystal reports server 7 (running on Windows 2003) and more importantly (b) are there any accessible patches/updates for that version?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the volume of data that is getting exported?

Regards

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Usually a few pages at the most, either to Excel or RTF or Word.

The puzzling fact is that the same exact report that failed a few days ago exports itself perfectly now.

The servers in question do have a tendency to crash the Crystal server application pools, sometimes with apparent correlation to this problem and sometimes without.

0 Kudos

Hi Yaron,

Moved your post to the BI PLatform forum.

Programs and Features should show you the version you are running or search for crpe32.dll and look at the version of it. That's the core engine and should indicate what version you are using.

You can always upgrade, although upgrading from CRS 7 to CRS 2016 is a huge jump, you may want to start over on a clean image. You can still use those reports but getting them into CRS 2016 may not be possible using the upgrade tools.

I would check your HD space, permissions, possibly even the hard drive itself.

Delete all of the \temp files, stop all CRS services first though, some files may be locked so just skip those.

IIS also has a tendency to fragment memory so cycling IIS often is recommended by Microsoft. IF you are using a Java Web Server then try expanding the memory space.

It could even be your AV or firewall blocking access, check those logs. And check the Event viewer it may indicate what caused the problem.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

An upgrade to a newer version of CR was discussed and rejected. We are looking for a short term, quick solution right now.

This is a virtual machine, what aspects of the HD would you check?

Permissions don't seem to be a likely candidate since, as I said, the same report sometimes works and sometimes does not work.

IIS application pools should preferably be recycled once each day. Currently they are recycled every 2 hours (I do not know why).

The AV logs do not show anything relevant, but I suggested excluding IIS and CR folders none the less.

I will check the version of the crpe32.dll file and get back to you.

0 Kudos

Already said... check your \temp folder after it errors and delete the files if you can.

Former Member
0 Kudos

crpe32.dll version is 7.0.0.192

0 Kudos

Cool... problem is CR 7 was released 15+ years ago and support ended 10+ years ago.

Even if you could find it it likely won't work on any new OS's now. Back then there was a limitation to the number of open files and all sorts of other things that have changed in current OS's and IIS. you could try permissions on the \temp folder, make sure it has full read/write abilities.

Try Fiddler to see if it captures anything...

Time to upgrade... not much more we can for you. We don't even have a copy to even try to install it.

CRS is still the one to use...

Good luck

Don