cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Content Server: MaxDB Parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I'm curious if there are special MaxDB parameter recommendations regarding a MaxDB for SAP Content Server (6.50). We use it for storing Archive Files (SARA).

I could not find anything satisfying in SMP/SAP Notes.

I'm especially interested in

* Recommendations regarding CacheMemorySize; for example, how should Cache size be set if we mainly place 500MB files in ContentServer? Is Cache beneficial at all?

* Log Volume Size / AutoLogBackupSize: Is a log volume needed at all? how to size it (in regard to 500MB files)? Manually set AutoLogBackupSize to a specific value?

* MaxUserTasks: I think this parameter depends on the number of parallel SARA-Jobs accessing the content server, e.g. if I have 5 Delete-Jobs I need 5 MaxDB User Tasks, right?

Regards

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

You probably won’t find much more information other than what SAP provides to the configuration of SAP Content Server and depending of what you are trying to accomplish the default configuration may provide you a good starting point to monitor your environment and fine tune it. http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_8/44/bd1ec6a5d51388e10000000a155369/frameset.htm

However, you may want to be aware of the fact that SAP does NOT recommend the use Content Server in a productive environment and you might want to explore a SAP certified commercial content repository systems instead. https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/59/fba637fcf7dc39e10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Regards,

//Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

SAP Content server can and is used in production environment by various customer across years.

There is no restriction as such.

Regards,

Sneha

0 Kudos

Hi Sneha,

Well, there are probably a few legitimate use cases that potentially could justify using SAP Content Server in a productive environment. For example, to store transitory or temporary content such as session content, etc. that is not intended for long-term storage. SAP CS will probably provide a decent and cost effective solution for such a scenario.

Most companies however have long-term storage requirements for their content that can range anywhere from a few months to several decades. By retaining content for such long periods of time, you want to ensure a few basic things such as the integrity of the content which means it is authentic, cannot be modified or deleted and most importantly you want to ensure that you can read the content even in a decade from now. Content Server is and was simply not designed for this task, see SAP’s official statement: https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/59/fba637fcf7dc39e10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm. In addition, there are also some stringent regulation such as DoD 5015.2 which has become the global benchmark not only for federal agencies, but also for public and private organizations worldwide. SAP Content Server does not meet those standards, but you can find a list of certified RMA’s here: http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/projects/rma/reg.aspx

As is said above, there are a few legitimate reasons that speak for SAP Content Server. However, in my opinion it is not advisable to invest or build a solution based on a foundation that does not meet some most fundamental requirements of a content repository solution. 

//Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Peter,

Thanks for the information. However we have seen several customers who are using sap content server in the productive environment as it serves there need and ofcoure there is a provision with sap content server as well to save the documents in read only mode so that it cannot be updated or deleted. There is also a provision that only authorized users access sap content server.

In the future roadmap of content server we have plans to integrate few more new enhancements to me content server more scalable,secure and robust in nature.

The major consumer of sap content server application is the DMS , archivelink and even RM.

Best Regards,

Sneha