Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WBS Element overwritten - WBS element version FREI_VERSION already exists

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I see that this is not a new issue and I need assistance as the notes I see all discuss deletion.  We have a WBS Element that has both actual, plan, and forecast dollars and hours posted to it going back to the start of last year: 1/1/2015.  Via CJ02 an active WBS Element, I/HR/A/MG/2, was overwritten with `.  All the notes that I am reading seem to talk about deleting the record and creating a new WBS.  I am concerned about database inconsistency given that actual and budget values are posted to the WBS that was overwritten.  Our SAP data is transferred to BW where it still shows values for the overwritten WBS Element.  Are notes 160884, 529634, and 616732 still applicable in this case? Please advise. 

Thank you,

Lisa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please describe how the WBS was overwritten, was it a transfer from a PS Version?

In CJ02 you should be able to type back in the WBS and description as desired in the operative version.  The short id will adopt the WBS you enter.

The WBS number, Description and short Id are all basically text descriptions, the way SAP identifies WBS elements is by the object number, that PR.... number.  What you see as a WBS number is not what is actually stored in the tables, it goes through a Conversion Exit to display it to you.  The WBS coding mask is not really stored in the tables, it is overlayed when it is displayed.

In SE16N click on Extras, Change Settings, then check Output without Conversion Exit.  Look at your WBS in PRPS and you will the "real" values.

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ken,

The WBS element was overwritten when an individual went in to update the project definition in CJ02 with a new WBS element.  Somehow when they were moving their cursor to the correct location to add the new WBS element, they typed over the real name I/HR/A/MG/2 with `.  It was not a transfer but a keying error.

Below is from our test system where I duplicated the keying error and tried to change the text items back without success.

I reviewed the PRPS with the setting change you noted and do see the WBS is noted with a Number that way.  However, if that is the case why then does it give you the FREI_VERSION message when you try to put it back?

Thank you,

Lisa

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Okay, I just tried changing it from the Short ID field versus the WBS Element field and it worked.  So it just does not want you changing from the WBS Element field.  While it seems odd that this is how it works, I will take it.

THANK YOU,

Lisa

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

While I noticed that changing the Short ID in CJ02 changed the WBS element in that screen, I just checked PRPS and see it did not actually change all the fields in the table.  As we transfer the WBS Element master data to BW, I need to get rid of the `.  Is there a way to do that?

In table VSPRPS_CN, I do see that it changed the field POSID.  It is odd that it will not change it in PRPS.

Thank you,

Lisa

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since the Operative project is more important, use CJ20N and change the WBS number of that WBS in FREI_VERSION to something else.  This should allow you to change the operative WBS to what you want.

And it looks like those Notes are still applicable.

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply.  I went into CJ20N but am not sure of the steps to change the WBS Element back to its original state.  I have asked to have note 160884 applied in our sandbox and will test the delete program.  However, if it is possible to change the WBS element 1 back to I/HR/A/M/2 via CJ20N that would be my preference.

CJ20N:

Best regards,

Lisa

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In CJ20N use the open icon and enter the project definition and the version name (FREI_VERSION), this opens the project version and not the Operative project.  Find the WBS in question and see if you can change it there, then save.

Then open the Operative (no version specified) project in CJ20N and rename the WBS.

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

When I am attempting to use Open via CJ20N, I do not see Version as an option to select upon.  Is there something that I am missing?

Thank you,

Lisa

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In CJ20N click Settings, Options, then check both Simulation boxes under Processable and Templates.

Now when you click open you can enter a simulation version.

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I tried checking the boxes and it does open up some additional fields for Open.  However, I am still not able to get to the FREI_VERSION for the problematic WBS Element that had the POSID value accidently overwritten.

I first tried to Open the WBS ` with the FREI_VERSION in simulation but it does not recognize that combination.  I then tried the FREI_VERSION with the Project Definition and that combination also did not work.

On another thread to get rid of this odd value for a WBS Element, I had note 160884 applied in our sandbox.  I ran it and it does wipe out everything for FREI_VERSION and then I can modify the value for POSID in table PRPS.  It just seems like such an extreme to update the one value.

I appreciate that you are taking the time to assist me with this issue.

Thank you,

Lisa

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some more things to be aware of with PS.  What you see as WBS and Project ID are not what is stored in the database, what you see is processed through a conversion exit.  When using SE16N click Extras, Change Settings then check Output without Conversion Exit.  Then you will see the actual data in the tables.

Look in table VSPROJ_CN for the project definitions with versions.

How is your version being created, automatically at REL or manually?

At this point the Note is your best bet.

You don't want to delete individual table records because in PS there are many other associated tables.  As an example I was at a client and we would archive all of the Projects between test cycles to cleanse the tables.  Archiving cleared 17 tables.  You don't want to try that manually.

lisa_savinovich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken, As I am planning on deleting the FREI_VERSION entries (in the various VS tables) with the program ZVERSDEL3 and then removing the creation of the FREI_VERSION automatically when the system status is REL, are there any other considerations that we should ponder before doing so?  It is important to note, that we currently are using WBS Elements more for actual and plan reporting that is tied to our FERC reporting which uses orders than actual project tracking.  (At some point in the future, we may want to use the PS module as designed but our current use is not standard.)  In addition, I will be doing some addition testing in our sandbox environment but want to ask the question at this juncture in my discovery. Thank you again for all of your replies. Sincerely, Lisa

Answers (0)