cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling a report to run if event doesn't complete

0 Kudos

Is there any way to schedule a report to run if some event's don't complete? Or is there a way to prevent a scheduled report to run based on an event?

My situation is that I have 6 reports that run every morning and our users want to be notified if these reports aren't complete before 5am.  I'm able to notify the users when all reports are complete although they also want to know when any of them aren't going to be done by 5am.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do the users consume the 6 reports? Mail is sent out to them with attachment or the reports are pushed on a network location?

0 Kudos

The users don't want to be notified that each report has finished.  They just want one email sent after all the reports have completed and they also want to be notified if all the reports didn't complete by 5am.  I know how I can send an email after all 6 reports have completed although I can't seem to figure out how to send a notification email when the 6 reports didn't complete before 5am.

To send the email after all 6 reports complete I was going to have an event associated with each report.  Then I was going to have a 7th report that would be triggered by all 6 events.  This 7th report will just be a simple Crystal Report that just says that this series of 6 reports have completed and it will be sent by email to the users email group.

I was hoping that there was a way to schedule another simple report (8th report) that would be scheduled for 5am and it would somehow know if the 6 events had completed or not.  If the 6 events had completed then the report wouldn't run and if any of the 6 events didn't complete then this 8th report will run which would be sent to the users email group notifying them that this series of reports didn't complete before 5am.

Thanks.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would suggest that if the users haven't received the "successful completion" report, that they should know that the reports didn't complete.  The only other way to do this would be to write code using either the Java or .NET SDK to check for the completion of the reports.

-Dell

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member187093
Participant
0 Kudos

my opinion

if the requirement is critical then SDK is best - Dell suggestion

and we can't trust audit data for real-time .. sometime there is a delay in uploading audit data to database. audit data is saved locally and uploaded when CMS get resource/time.

hope this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree that Auditing may not be real time but I feel it is much simpler solution, considering that coding with SDK is not for everyone.

0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your ideas.  I understand that if real time is necessary then I would need to create an SDK solution.  For now this isn't in the budget so I'm going to go back to my customer to see how critical this particular requirement is.  To me, I feel that if they don't get the email before 5am that all the reports have completed then they will need to assume that they didn't complete by 5am.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

If you have auditing enabled, you can write a script (any platform such as VBA, DB procedure) that checks for the successful "run" event for the select reports and notify via email when there are no entries.

select count(0) from ADS_EVENT where Event_Type_ID=1011 and Object_name='Report Schedule Heart Beat v1.0' and Start_time>=dateadd(minute,-10,getdate())

Event_Type_ID=1101 - All schedule events

Regards

Mohan

former_member205194
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

Probably, you can check out the below option :

1) Everytime a report is scheduled, its entry would be made in the "Audit Database"

2) Say, all these are scheduled to run at 4:30 am

3) You can create a report on this AUDIT database which shows the list of reports scheduled between 4:30am and 5am.

4) This will take care of both the scenarios - ie whether the 6 reports are completed OR NOT.

If the 6 reports have been scheduled before 5am, it will show up in the Audit report, Else the Audit report sent to the user would be empty (you can have a user friendly msg sating that the reports have still not got completed).

Let me know your thoughts on this. Hope this helps !!

Regards,

Monish

former_member205064
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no option for pending as jawahar said ,but for success and failure there is an option if you schedule through CMC.

may be you can use this one:-

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no option currently to fulfill your requirement. We can notify if the report fails or success, but not if the report did not run.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can we schedule report using control M jobs?