0 Kudos

Server Configuration:

Tomcat Web App Server A

BI 4 Platform Server A

Tomcat Web App Server B

BI 4 Platform Server B

BI 4.1 SP7

Windows Server 2012

They are in a clustered environment. Therefore they use the same CMS database. I would like to know how to cluster the Tomcat Web App Servers A and B. How does clustering in Tomcat work? Is that using a single URL, so that it Tomcat Web App Server A fails, Tomcat Web App Server B automatically picks up the session, and user does not even know Tomcat Web App Server A is down? How can I set it up this way?

I have done the steps in this link: Configuring the Application Server Cluster - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki but I don't know if it even works or how to test it. Is this all I need to do in setting up a Tomcat cluster?

I have seen Load Balancer mentioned on the forums that I see regarding Tomcat cluster but I don't know which load balancer I should use for my clustered environment.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Daya for the links. I have actually used most of them to get where I am now at with my servers. However, mine is quite a different setup as I do not have Apache installed. What I have are the following:

Tomcat Web App Server A (where I installed the web tier part of BI 4.1)

BI Platform Server A (where I installed the rest - excluding web tier)

Tomcat Web App Server B (where I installed the web tier part of BI 4.1)

BI Platform Server B (where I installed the rest - excluding web tier)

I have clustered the CMSes of BI Platform Server A and BI Platform Server B.

Now, I need to cluster the Tomcat Servers and I do not know how.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you using any Load balancer for other applications?If yes then same can you use  for Tomcat  load balancer.

e.g F5 Load balancer

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I am aware, I am not. How do I check if I am using any load balancer? If I am not, do I need one for Tomcat cluster to work? If I do, then is F5 load balancer available for me to use? Where do I get it from?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you cannot cluster tomcat servers if you do not have load balancer of some kind.
Either hardware (F5) or software, like apache web server.

Also, if you have load balancer - you do not have to cluster tomcats. you can have load balancer that redirects to each tomcat for load balancing purpose.

clustering 2 tomcats together doesn't prevent some errors when failover occurs. KBA's :

1748276 - BI 4.0 - Error: "Logon denied: Your session is not valid" in BI Launch Pad using Tomcat cluster

2088195 - BI 4.1 - Error: "Logon denied: Your session is not valid" in BI Launch Pad using Tomcat cluster failover

Tomcat clustering is explained here : https://www.mulesoft.com/tcat/tomcat-clustering

or here

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/cluster.html

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thank you for the links and for your input. I am new to clustering hence my questions.

Can I install Apache even if I already have the bundled Tomcat installed on the servers?

former_member205064
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick

you can install Apache even if you are using bundled tomcat as per this link shared:-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raunak,

Thanks for the link. I had a look at it and while it appears pretty straightforward, I have a few questions:

- How do I maintain Apache? Are there any patches that I need to look out for?

- Will installing Apache break my active directory and single sign-on? I already have them working.

- Tomcat is already installed. What is the use of installing Apache as a service? Does this take care of the load balancing or session replication? Will this answer my question i.e. if my Tomcat Server A goes down, how can I get Tomcat Server B to pick the session automatically?

Many thanks

Kristine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis, I have received good news. I have found someone who has an F5 load balancer. Do I need to do something at my end? Or is everything setup at load balancer? Thanks Kristine

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

everything is done on LB, your tomcats/BOE webapp do not know LB exist