SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WP_PLU, additional texts in several languages

former_member348835
Participant
0 Kudos

Articles in SAP Retail have descriptions in table MAKT, which can be distributed to stores with message type WP_PLU > structure E1WPA03. But they can also have several other texts such as the brand, URL for QR code, additional price label texts etc.

Segment E1WXX01 could be used for such texts, if each store had only one language. But in some regions of the world it's suitable / a legal requirement presenting the texts in multiple languages (think: Parts of Russia or China or multinational cities like Bruxelles).

What do you consider as best practice to distribute the same customized text in multiple languages?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amit_tunara
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sune,

If I understand your problem correctly, there is a provision to maintain the different language descriptions under POS view of article master. When they are maintained with different IDs, it can be included in standard WP_PLU or WBBDLD IDoc to send the same to POS.

We had similar requirement to download English and Arabic description to POS in Saudi Arabia.

Alternatively, we need to use enhancements and user exit to include the customize field in an extra segment and then populate them while preparing IDoc.

Let us know if this is not what you wanted to discuss.

Regards,

Amit

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

amit_tunara
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sune,

If I understand your problem correctly, there is a provision to maintain the different language descriptions under POS view of article master. When they are maintained with different IDs, it can be included in standard WP_PLU or WBBDLD IDoc to send the same to POS.

We had similar requirement to download English and Arabic description to POS in Saudi Arabia.

Alternatively, we need to use enhancements and user exit to include the customize field in an extra segment and then populate them while preparing IDoc.

Let us know if this is not what you wanted to discuss.

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Thank you. The problem is that the texts are housed in a home made table (Zxxxx). As SAP already supports distribution of texts residing in the right place (table MAMT), my current challenge about many languages is not an SAP problem.

0 Kudos

Hi Sune,

If the descriptions are in custom table, then you need to do enhancement to IDoc and then implement user-exit to populate them.

• First create a custom segment and then define field for all the description fields from your custom table. Which fields to include depends on your integration requirements. Make sure to include language field for each description so that the integration partner is aware about the same.
  • Insert your customer segment in the standard IDoc to make it as a part of IDocs carrying date for your integration partner (POS or any third party system). This will allow you to create an extension of basic message type.
  • Make sure the message type in the partner profile has the new extension to ensure new IDoc format being sent to integration partner.
  • Make a copy of standard enhancement project WPDA0001 and implement user-exit EXIT_SAPLWPDA_002 to populate the custom fields in IDoc.

With these steps, your descriptions will be included in the IDoc and can send to partner through integration.

I hope this will help.

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi Amit

It is no law that we should also keep the data in a custom table in the future. But your suggestion about using the POS view (table MAMT) has some weaknesses. E.g. transaction MM41-MM43 can only show/enable maintenance entries where MAMT-MTXID = 02. Furthermore function module POS_MATERIAL_GET line 127-136 prohibits other standard text IDs than MAMT-MTXID = 02.

Of course we can just make an extension. However, I wonder that every SAP Retail customer must use its own extension for language specific texts, as every SAP Retail customer has such texts. I cannot avoid considering that as a significant room for improvement by SAP.

0 Kudos

Hi Sune,

Thanks for sharing information about MAMT.

I was wondering we can maintain multiple language article description using the counter. Please see below image:

Standard SAP IDoc WP_PLU should be able to include these texts in IDoc, or we can include them using the user-exit.

Just shared my thought.

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi SAP

The solution suggested by Amit technically works. But is that really the way you want us to maintain QR codes (which may require more than the 40 characters in one line), extra texts for invoices by the store system (which may not always exist) etc.?