Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shifting from Daily to Weekly bucket capacity for a Resource for CTM planning

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

At the moment CTM run generates a lot of Planned Orders on daily basis, which is based on daily bucket capacity of the Resource.

Is it possible to make the resource capacity to be considered as weekly and accordingly CTM run would generate Planned Orders based on Weekly availability of the Resource capacity ?

Regards,

Avinash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue is: You had a SO for 6000 units

If daily capacity is 300 then yes CTM will create 20 planned orders each for 300 units.

If you define your capacity profile to be weekly you can get planned orders that span 7 days.

Are you ok with a SO for 1 unit to take 7 days also? 

Otherwise, you will pobably have to use BAdI /SAPAPO/CRESBUCKET

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kenneth,

Not sure if I understand your comment

And by "Maintainence of Capacity Profile" do you mean maintainedof periods with 1 Bucket that we do in resourse ? Which is also suggested above by Expert DB.

Regards,

Avinash

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was just telling you what you discovered.

If you define resource in weekly buckets then a demand (so) of 1 unit will have a duration of 1 week.

The same results will occur if you change the PPM/PDS duration to 7 days also.

There is NO way to have capacity considered for a week.

To be honest, this is not logical.  You need to remember CTM is daily bucketed planning.

It plans/creates an order each day as it will create orders when needed.  

What you are thinking about is weekly lot sizes.  It has nothing to do with capacity. 

Ken

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

Assuming you are planning your resources finitely, CTM will in general not overload any single bucket's capacity.

Is it possible to make the resource capacity to be considered as weekly and accordingly CTM run would generate Planned Orders based on Weekly availability of the Resource capacity ?

Yes.   Assuming SNP:

Best Regards,

DB49

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB,

This did not changed anything. System still considers capacity for daily bucket, and hence Planned Orders divided based daily availability for the capacity.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

System still considers capacity for daily bucket, 

No, this is not true.  This is how one establishes SNP Bucketed Resources with a period of 'weekly'.

Orders divided based daily availability for the capacity.

That may or may not be true. There are many factors that can influence the size of the supply elements.

Best Regards,

DB49

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB,

I understand that, but here it seems like Number and quantity of Planned Orders is being governed by Capacity availability.

If I do changes in number of periods within a Bucket, system accordingly adjusts the quantity and number of Planned Orders.

Example, when number of periods is 7 days: we get more number of Planned Orders  and less quantity for daily.

When number of periods is 5 days: we get less number of Planned orders and more quantity daily.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

That fact tells me very little.  Well, I guess it does mean that you have probably successfully achieved capacity consumption.

What are the Master data settings in your CTM profile?

What does the resource consumption look like for this resource in your SNP planning book?  Are you fully constrained? 

Are there any other resources in the PDS for this product?

Are there any other consumptions for this resource besides this product?

Do you intend to answer expert Kishor's question?

Best Regards,

DB49

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB,

Here is a screen shot master data setting in CTM:

PDS has got just one activity having this Resource.
Planning book looks normal for the Resource, Yes Resource is being used for other Products as well.

Either I am missing something, or it is just not supported by CTM without an enhancement.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

I asked are there other Resources in the PDS, not are there other activities for this resource.  The bucket settings of ALL resources in the planned order will affect the scheduling of the entire planned order.

What are the lot size settings in the product master?

Are there any components in the BOM?  Scheduling of the bom components can affect the scheduling of your planned orders.

Best Regards,

DB49

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

PDS has got just one Resource and no components. We are using Lot-For-Lot procedure.

I do not see what is missing in this case.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

Oops, I just noticed from your configuration that you are using PPMs and not PDSs.  My bad!

Please describe a bit of detail in your PPM.  How many operations?  How many modes?

Have you defined any min or max intervals in your PPM?

Have you defined any fixed durations?

Best Regards,

DB49

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

Nope ! your assumption was correct, we are working with PDSs and not PPMs. I guess setting in Global Customizing gets overwritten by setting from Material Master, which in this case is: 5"PDS".

Regards,

Avinash

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

However, after performing some tests. I was able to manage the situation by increasing the Mode duration from 1 to 5 days for the activity.

Now Planned Orders span over a week and consume the relevant capacity.

However, this also means that even for 1 quantity of demand, Planned Orders are going to span for a week. Which I think is not a good idea.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

It never dawned on me that you were talking about planned orders with a duration of < 1 week.

So, let me understand the business scenario you are trying to support here.

1.  You want to have capacity managed in weekly buckets.

2.  You have planned orders, which you want to actually have a duration of 1 day.

3.  You want the ability of a single planned order to have the ability to consume up to an entire week's capacity.

I am trying to force my brain to conceive of how this would work in real life on a production floor.  I start working on an order on Monday, I complete the order on Tuesday, and I have somehow consumed the entire week's capacity.  Is this what you intend?

Best Regards,

DB49

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

Requirement is quite simple:

Present situation:

SO is 6000 qty.

Capacity available is: 300 per day.

CTM run generates:

20 Planned Orders for daily.

What we are looking for:

CTM generates: Just 1 Planned Order[ of course  if the capacity is available].

Now my thinking is, because we have daily bucket capacity for the Resource, hence CTM is generating 20 Planned Orders.

Then we made the changes as we saw earlier, to include 5 days in bucket[changes done in Resource bucket capacity]. But this did not changed anything.

After further tests, turns out Mode duration with 5 days allows lesser number of Planned Orders. Which I also mentioned is not good idea as even for 1 demand quantity Planned Orders are scheduled for over the week and capacity is distributed over the week with a daily consumption of let's say 2%.

Bottom line:

Is it possible for CTM to look at capacity constraint and still generate 1 Planned Order for 1 demand. And sensibly utilize the capacity.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Avinash,

What is the setting in the CTM global customizing  for aggregate object.

Regards

Kihsor

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Here is a screen shot :

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash

If I am correct, you are main issue is CTM creating planned orders on daily basis.

Ideally CTM is order based planning and it create supply element for each demand available and does not aggregate demand or supply. You might check @ the flag Activate Time-Based Aggregation maintained on CTM profile to see if it helps you.

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Thank you for the inputs.

I understand that CTM is Order based Planning. But in this case, I have one SO of -6000  quantity.

And CTM run in this case generates Planned Orders based on daily availability of the resource capacity.

That is, if Resource can produce 300 quantity daily then I see 20 Planned Orders.

Is it possible that CTM considers weekly availbilty of Resource Capacity, and then generates Planned Orders.

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash

I think there is something wrong with Master data ideally we should only have 1 planned with start date and end date after 20 days instead of creating 20 planned orders.  Can you check your CTM profiles mainly Settings tab or Master data for your articles.

Thanks

Amol

avinash_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Is it not true that, when we talk about Capacity Based CTM run it actually mean that Planning will be done based on Resource bucket capacity. In this case I see bucket capacity for my resource maintained as daily.

I do not see anything wrong in CTM profile.

Regards,

Avinash