cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to know the best starting point for learning.  I have been in IT for 20 years, primarily Microsoft products/certifications/training.  I am ready to expand my knowledge/skills. I would really welcome input from from this forum before choosing a course. My education background is a BS/CIS.  I am currently in charge of training development, some change management and PM assistant duties for a non-US Fortune 500 company. Being on this assignment really opened my eyes to SAP as they are in the progress of converting many processes over to an SAP platform.

Thank you in advance,

MLD

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tnecnivo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to SCN

Training Development, Change management and PM assistant sounds great.

If you are keen on moving on to SAP with PM roles, you can consider going for SAP PM cert:-

https://training.sap.com/shop/certification/c_pm_71-sap-certified-associate-project-manager-g/

However, if you are interested in SAP and want to move towards Functional or Technical Consultant roles, then you have to understand which fields of Modules you would like to be in.

But do check out S/4 HANA, which is the new thing in SAP.

You can even enroll the free OpenSAP course via the link below:-

Courses

Last but not least, if you are keen to move on with PM role and not limiting only to SAP, consider PMP certification.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vincent, thank you for the insight!

I have signed up for the S/4 HANA on the OpenSAP (glad I am going in the right direction.)

I will read up on the SAP PM Cert. 

I was conflicted regarding the PMP, I thought about it and I still am doing so.  I will contrast/compare it with the SAP PM.

This is one of the main questions I had, ..." fields of Modules you would like to be in...".  My current contract is moving to the HANA in Europe and starting to make he shift here as well.

tnecnivo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

IMHO, if you really want to be Project Manager as career, PMP is possibly the best choice. Try google for Top 10 Project Management certification, or Top 10 best paid IT certification, you will always see PMP on the list.

However, As for HANA, you have to understand that HANA is a In-memory High Performance Database. HANA is towards Data modelling, leverage on View/Table Modeling to massage the data for reporting, analysis or for other consumption. (Kinda similar to what SAP BW does, but with new technology).

S/4 HANA is the new version of ECC that mount on top of HANA, using HANA technology to boost the ERP system performance. S/4 HANA is still new, but it will grow and evolve and eventually replace ECC.

To be honest, I wouldn't say HANA is actually a SAP Module, but using an Application on top of HANA that will brings best values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been looking into taking the PMP as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You in your opinion what would be a good starting point to SAP?  just to get familiar - an "idea".  I see some exploration / discovery modules but not sure about which ones to dive into.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

fim
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just replied on your comment at

Good to know you have IT background and an environment to support your career aspirations.

If you consider SAP PM certification, note C_PM_71 would be replaced by C_ACT_2016. (I've C_PM_70 certification and I'm considering to upgrade to C_ACT_2016).