Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade_bs_rdbms.bat execution during the Sybase Upgrade from 15.7 to 16.0

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

During the Upgrade of Sybase ASE from 15.7 to 16.0.

Now we had run the

1.setup console.. we did that from ASE_Suite  we found 0 errors and 0 fatal errors .

according to the note 2162735

2.the next step is to run the batch file --> Upgrade_bs_rdbms.bat.When I have run this it has asked for sa password --> Windows User & password --> next it has prompt for ""master device path of ASE.""

Please help me which is the exact path of Master Device.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Both,

Thanks for your help.

I could change the password with SP_Password .(with sapsso user)

Syntax: Sp_password sapssopassword,new_password,[sa].

Indrajith

0 Kudos

It is suggested to use 'ALTER LOGIN' command to chnage password, to my knowledge sp_password is deprecated.

'sa' password may get chnaged when using sapdbctrl to upgrade ASE. sapdbctrl needs the current 'sa' password.

If this password is not stored in the SAP secure store, then sapdbctrl logs in as 'sapsso' and changes the passweord of 'sa' to some arbitrary one - which it then uses to log in as 'sa'

With kind regards
Tilman Model-Bosch 

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Could you please mention the Syntax for ALTER LOGIN.

Indrajith.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can check the master device path from the RUN_SID file from "/sybase/SID/ASE-15_0/install" directory.

Open this file and check the -d parameter value for master device.

Hope this will be helpful.

~Gaurav

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can also open and check the SID Errorlog file and search the string "Initializing virtual device 0" for master device.

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your reply.

We have a Situation here,

login with User Sa is not possible.

while i could able to login with sapsso and sapsa.(all the users were having same password previously ) when I have checked with the command  sp_displaylogin.. there I could see password change had happened recently.

but we didn't change the password,.

any idea why it had happened.

please help with getting the password back.. or how shall I reset,...

inoder to proceed with our next upgrade step to run the upgrade_bs_rdms_.bat.. it is asking for sa password.

Hence could not proceed.

Thanks,

Indrajith

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can refer the SAP Note 1945193 - How to unlock sa account and change sa password in ASE server environment.

This will be helpful to reset the sa password.

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

OK. Thanks .

I will do it.

Any idea how it got changed?

we have not touched anything related to password change.

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Did you previously unlock sa login, as explained in SAP Note 2162735?

Regards,

Cris

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

We have not completely finish our upgrade.(still we are under the Upgrade_bs_rdbms,bat phase.) Hence we didn't unlock it back.

Thanks

Indrajith

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

sa login must be unlocked before the ASE upgrade starts.

It is relocked after upgrade, as post-installation task.

If your sa login is currently locked, then you won't be able to run Upgrade_bs_rdbms.bat (you're probably getting an error "Login failed" in that case)

Regards,

Cris

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Sa is not locked, I have checked it will command sp_displaylogin.

in the same command I could see that there was password change.(Which we didn't do.... not sure how it was changed.).

So gaurav suggested a note where to reset the sa password.

from the note it is mentioned that new password will be displayed while starting the server.

Below are my questions:

1.which console should be kept open

2.with which OS user should I log in

I did the steps that are in note for changing the password,...I made the change in RUN_<SID>.bat then restarted the server.(later I could not see any console showing me the password.) more over when I ran the RUN_<SID>.bat file it is giving me the below screenshot..

please Help.

Thanks

Indrajith

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

The error in the screenshot just indicates that there is already an ASE running.

When working with ASE, log on Windows as syb<SID> user.

I recommend you to open a Windows command prompt window, to execute the RUN_<SID>.bat as following (you have to be located in \sybase\<SID>\ASE-15(6)\install) :

sqlsrvr -f RUN_<SID>.bat

You should see in same window the new sa password generated.

HTH

Cris

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

please find the screenshot below.. seems to be syntax issue.. is there anything else to be added to the command.???(EP2 is my SID)

Thanks

Indrajith

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

hum.. seems the -f has not the same effect under Windows env.. (I used to use it under Unix)

Ok, let's try another thing: execute it from Windows command line (not double clicking) , the idea is to keep the command prompt window opened, so we can see what exactly happens when ASE starts with the RUN file modified.

Regards,

Cris

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Below is the output.

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Indrajith,

If you are able to connect using sapsso login. You can just connect to server using sapsso and try uplocking sa (sp_locklogin) and then changing the password (sp_password) .

If this is not working , you can follow the staps mentioned in the Note 1945193 as below :

Log on to machine using Syb<SID> user.

Please check that ASE server services stopped in the services. If running, please stop the services.

Then open the cmd window and try running the new RUN_SID.bat file.

Please check the contents in the same cmd window , new sa password will be displayed.

You can connect to ASE server using the sa login and new password.

~Gaurav

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurav,

Facing the below issues with the upgrade_bs_rdbms.bat.

1.yesterday it has asked for the path of master device when I had run the above script.but after solving the issue of sa password... I had run the bat file again.but this time it had not asked for the master device password.

2.it has just asked for Sa password and ASE os user and its password. then  am facing the below error.
and after this error DB service is going down,

please help how to proceed.(EP2 is my SID.)

thanks in advance.

indrajith_v
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Facing the below issues with the upgrade_bs_rdbms.bat.

1.yesterday it has asked for the path of master device when I had run the above script.but after solving the issue of sa password...

I had run the bat file again.but this time it had not asked for the master device password.

2.it has just asked for Sa password and ASE os user and its password.

then  am facing the below error.

and after this error DB service is going down,  please help how to proceed.(EP2 is my SID.)

thanks in advance.