Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadline monitoring not working for PR release wrokflow

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are facing a strange problem with deadline monitoring part of the our PR release workflow.

We have implemented the deadline monitoring as per the standard way. In the outcome branch for latest end for the step "Overall release of requisition"(Marked in Yellow), we make the step as obsolete. But instead of following the "Processing Obsolete" route, it follows a different route, and mark the workflow item as "Complete". It's simply not following the Processing obsolete "outcome" marked in red in above diagram.

I have attached the workflow log for better understanding. Can you please help me.

Thanks in advance!!

Warm Regards,

Raveesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Any help here?

Thanks & Warm Regards,

Raveesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raveesh,

it looks all good and you have entered the correct steps for the modeled deadline monitoring. There are two paths in use:

1. Latest end reached => in order to set the original workitem to obsolete

2. Another outcome of the same workitem, flagged as the "obsolete" paths

And I share your thought, that there's something not working, but it should..

So I'll give you some general thoughts and tools, what I usually perform in such situations:

Try each step separatly with a new test to see, at what stage your problem has solved:

1. The step "Set workitem to obsolete" should be the very last step of the path "latest end reached".

2. Remove the step "Set workitem to obsolete", activate, re-enter Workflow Builder, create the same step again and double check the Step#, which is being set obsolete. We call this the "full step recreation"-tool".

3. Do the "full step recreation" with the release step ... BUT save some time first, and just duplicate the whole stuff, and put a new version just in front of the old one. The Workflow pattern isn't fully working then ... but that's only for a short time. Check, if that works.

4. Create a NEW workflow, and use only the release-step with and including a simple modeled deadline that just sets the step to obsolete. Nothing more. We call this the "Extract and simplification"-tool.

5. If you've come to here without having solved the problem, grab a coffe and have another cup as a reserve ... then debug the RSWWDHEX report on your extracted, simplified workflow instance.

I wish you very good luck

Florin

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When the deadline is reached then you want to send an approval reminder. Okay, that's normal.

But then why set the approval step to obsolete before even sending the reminder?

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Because then Processing obsolete outcome gets triggered, and i Can handle the escalation part.

SAP Help link for this approach is as given below.

Modeled Deadline Monitoring or Standard Escalation - SAP Business Workflow - SAP Library

Please check and let me know your views.

Thanks & Warm Regards,

Raveesh

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"You can terminate the execution of the work item if a deadline is missed." - in that link

That is just one of the options for what you can do if a deadline is missed. It's not something you usually do when you want to send a reminder!

StephaneBailleu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Can not find the workflow log attached ....

Have you checked that you are testing the right version of your workflow?

Can you do a screen shot of the lastestend tab of the step ?

Is there any other deadline monitoring implemented for this step ?

What are those other outcomes ?

Cheers

Stephane

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Stephane,

Thanks for replying!! I was talking about the screenshot which I have attached in the question. It shows the execution path of the workflow in green.

There is just one version of the workflow at the moment 0004(0000)

Details of the PR release step is provided below. Deadline for this step needs to be monitored.

Processing obsolete outcome should be triggered. Instead "Release of PR Refused" is getting triggered. We are working on for a long time, but could not identify the issue.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks & Warm Regards,

Raveesh

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Also wanted to add one point that this workflow was copied from standard workflow WS00000038.

Thanks,

Raveeh

StephaneBailleu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

What do you have in the step set processing as obsolete ?

I guess in the process control you are just saying mark as obsolete the step 003 ?

Right ?

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your 3rd screenshot shows that the modeled deadline is supposed to go to "Work Item Approval Reminders" and your 1st screenshot shows it doing exactly that!

I wouldn't trust that graphical log, look in the actual chronological workflow log (in SWI1).

"Set the processing to obsolete" does what exactly?

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

"Set the processing to obsolete" actually marks the step "Overall release of  requisition" as obsolete. Once this is done, the route followed should be "Processing Obsolete", but it is following the route "Release of Purchase Requisition Refused" which is really strange, as we have followed the standard process of deadline monitoring, but it is not working.

Thanks & Warm Regards,

Raveesh

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Right. Please suggest where does the issue lie if you can think of something.

Thanks & Warm Regards,

Raveesh

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your second attachment, It is clear that, outcome should be Workitem Approval Reminders  not Processing Obsolete.

raveeshsaurabh3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Anjan,

Outcome when the deadline gets passed should be "Workitem Approval Reminders". But in "Workitem Approval Reminders", I am using a process control step to mark the step "Overall release of requisition" as obsolete. Hence once that step is marked as obsolete, "Processing Obsolete" should get triggered where we can do whatever we want for deadline monitoring. This is basic deadline monitoring process.

Modeled Deadline Monitoring or Standard Escalation - SAP Business Workflow - SAP Library

Please check SAP HELP link, and let me know if you can think of something wrong here.

Thanks,

Raveesh