Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Migration

0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to do data migration of master data like vendor,customer and material master using LSMW.Should I do it in development system or directly in production system .which will be ideal.If I load the data in development system ,how can i transport to production system .

8 REPLIES 8

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

development system is for development but usually not for productive master data. And master data is not transported from development to production either, it is directly created in production.

Productive data in a development system  can create data protection issues. Especially personal data like vendors and customers are under special protection in many countries and the law already asks for anonymization of such data in a development system.

MukeshKumar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi , you can create LSMW against a project, sub-project and object combination in your Development system, record all the steps and test thoroughly with some test data in the Development or QA system. You can move the (tested LSMW to Production environment and then load the actual data. Another important point: LSMWs by default are not saved into a Transport Request. When you have entered project, sub-project and object on the LSMW transaction screen, you should go to the menu Extras > Create change request. Best Regards and All the Best !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From Data migration perspective, it depends on what is the volume of data that you are looking to migrate. If it is a small data set (Less than 5000 records), you can use LSMW programs. However, I would recommend you to used BOIS (Business objects information steward) for profiling your data first and then use the BODS (Business Objects Data  services) program for designing appropriate workflows and having an appropriate mechanism for data migration/conversion. Please go through the below links to learn more about it

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/EIM/Information+Steward

https://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/sbo401_ds_tutorial_en.pdf

Thanks,

Ghouse

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I used LSMW for far above a million materials and had never an issue. LSMW is free, is BODS free too?

0 Kudos

Hi Juergen ,

I have to upload 2 million records ,so is it better to take the data in excel or notepad for upload .And do i have to break the data into separate files and load them

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excel is never really a trustworthy and good as a source, as too many people enter data differently in Excel which usually creates headaches over headaches in dataloads. Excel keeps  a static version of data, the only thing that is living is a growing number of versions on various notebooks and you are never certain if you got the latest and most recent version. Excel just can't take 2 million records.

If you have to deal with that many records then you should have better tools than Excel as medium between a source and a target system.

0 Kudos

Hi Jeurgen ,

what is the better tool than excel for 2 million records .can you suggest me .

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there is no one-size-fit all answer, and your given information is not sufficient to tell you which medium is the best, but it was sufficient to tell you that Excel is not the best and I also shared the reason for this statement.

Maybe after knowing all parameters to take a decision at the end the result would be Excel but still the same doubts on Excel exists and you have to take measures that you don't fail.

Isn't it already a challenge to get million records into Excel (not talking about the technical limitation of max 1048576 lines), who will maintain it, how much time is needed, isn't the first record already old when the last gets added?

From where is the data taken? Are there no other ways to get the data, e.g. ALE, RFC