Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL Cutover balances

subhadeep_das
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am seeing a lot of posts on how to transfer the cut over balances to respective GLs during go live. My client have almost 3000 GLs in their legacy system and in SAP this has been brought down to 200 or little more than that. But now I am unable to understand how to fit the trial balance into these many GLs in SAP. Pls help me know this.

best regds

Subha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subho da

1. Ask them to give balances based on legacy 3000 GL accounts

2. You might already have a mapping between legacy and Sap GL accounts. If not do that

3. Do VLOOKUP and replace the GL in (1)

Simple!

Ajay M

subhadeep_das
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajay, but my situation is probably a little complicated since its not just the balance transfer, client wants each and every transaction line item to move in SAP GL. I am worried here.

best regds

Subha

sanilbhandari
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Subhadeep

Are you doing a mid of the year transfer, that the client wants to have details at the line item level? What good it will do? All your AP and AR will be at line item levels since you will be transferring the open items. Now coming to your balances for balance sheet items, you can capture the items at account assignment level like Profit center or business area rather than loading the balances for GL only depending on what account assignment level you have. For Inventory, you will anyways be loading at material and plant combination using Mtype 561, so your business will anyways know balances for material.

For your P&L Accounts, assuming you are doing mid of year upload, you can load the balances at Cost Object level like cost center or IO or WBS element. Is there any specific legal requirement that your business wants to see the balances at line item level in legacy. I have not heard of any such requirement in any of the countries as yet. However, if that is a legal requirement, than you can even load the line items at line item levels and to comply with the legal requirements in some countries for holding the accounting data of legacy, you can always do that in archieve. I believe it is more of a cutover management which needs to be done with the business. I had done a project with the second biggest beverage company in the world and had a similar kind of requirement. However, we asked them to show the legal requirement where the line item need to be shown, but ultimately it was only a question of mindset and the customer's business also included India. For 7 year recording requirement, the business agreed to archieve the data and keep the records. This could easily be retrieved through the archieve tapes.

Regards

Sanil Bhandari

subhadeep_das
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanil,

It is a mid year cutover, we have explained everything however client is adamant  of having the data at line item level. Their explanation is that they want to completely switch off the legacy system and in case tax authority wants any account details they will will be able to refer to sap only. This requirement is only for FI. Theres no such requirement at MM side.

best regds

Subha