Did you mean: 

Installtion Server Side Design Studio PlugIn fails

0 Kudos

Environment: Windows 2012R2

MS SQL 11.0.3393

SAB BI 4.2 SP2 Patch 1 (14.2.2.2018)

Design Studio (serverside): 16.1.2.716

Hello,

I have a problem with the installation of the Design Studio PlugIn for SAP BI 4.2. First I had all running under the version 4.1.6 with Design Studio 1.5. I upgraded my system to 4.2 and than I wanted to update also Design Studio, but the installation failed with an "Internal Error detected. Program will exit".

Afterwards starting from the Control Panel I tried to "Modify Installation for the package, but the installation script ran always in the same error. I can't even uninstall it.

So I tried another way round:

First I uninstalled the Version 1.5 from the system and AFTER I installed the version 4.2 (+ SP2 + Patch 1).

But installing newly the DS 1.6 I ran newly in the same error. Anyone had the same error or knows a solution? Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

I gave up ... (about 3 working days lost in searching a solution ...)

I installed the server newly from the scratch, installed starting from 4.2.SP2 and then the Update 2. AFTER this I installed the Design Studio PlugIn and the installation finished correctly.

I'm working with BOE since Version 5.X (2000) and always made the experience: Never patch a system, always start with the full install of the current version. This didn't change with the CRE architecture and didn't change with the SAP acquisition ...

Sincerely

former_member187093
Participant
0 Kudos

agree... I am also working from BO5.1 onwards 🙂

I still see same kind of issues(technical and non technical) from BO5.1 to the latest version 4.2 SP2.

we always go for the base install... I hate the forward fit matrix doc 😞

former_member187093
Participant
0 Kudos

exactly BO5.1A  onwards 🙂

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply..I tried installing from scratch after uninstalling the current BOBI application and it worked.

0 Kudos

welcome in the club 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I had the same Problem, after checking the errorlog of the first installation the solution was

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3918377

regards

Wolfgang

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

The error you are getting is due  to the INSTALLDATA folder in the <installdir>/SAP BusinessObjects drive.

If you have exactly same environment then copy the Install data folder and rename the existing one to old and then try to run the uninstall or update setup.

And yes do follow the best practices using KBA : 1952120 to avoid any issues.

Regards

Mahak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Mahak,

That workaround would be very misleading for future investigation (ie: wrong logs in the installData/logs) and can cause future patches to fail. Not to mention the fact you get the InstallManifest of another machine.

I think this shouldn't be done in any circumstances.

Roland, did you find one of the installs as being not-committed as per the KBA you checked? I did see install attempting "resume" as per the logs you mentioned so this is a valid way to move.

0 Kudos

Hello Mahak,

thanks for the response! Unfortunately the only other running environment is a SAP BI 4.1.6 with DesignStudio 1.5. So I can't use it.

0 Kudos

Hello Romain,

yes, I found the last installation as NOT committed as described in the SAP Note 2284007. I tried just to put the value on 1 and relaunched the installation - the result was the same: Exiting with the same error.

Thanks for the response!

0 Kudos

I am trying to upgrade SAP BOBI 4.1 SP 05 patch 2 to SP 07 patch 3. The installation gets stuck up at the stage on uninstalling files and gets hanged.The install log says :

Error: GetIEDURevMapAndDUFolders is using the install cache to build a map of DU revisions for a given install entry.  This will not be reliable and may lead to incorrect results.

the setupengine log has stopped getting updated,the last update is :

17:02:35.361   Action properties:

17:02:35.361        $du.dir: D:\usr\sap\JRC\BOBI\InstallData\InstallCache\connectivity.connectionserver.drivers.datafederator.jdbc-4.0-en-nu\14.1.2.1278\

17:02:35.392 Current working dir: D:\usr\sap\JRC\BOBI\InstallData\logs\2016.06.29.16.56.12\

17:02:35.408 NativeActionExecutor: temporarily updating path. Adding to path: D:\usr\sap\JRC\BOBI\InstallData\InstallCache\setup.core-4.0-core-32\14.1.6.1702\actions\

17:02:35.408 Set environment variable 'Path': 'D:\usr\sap\JRC\BOBI\InstallData\InstallCache\setup.core-4.0-core-32\14.1.6.1702\actions\'.

17:02:35.408 Prepend to environment variable 'Path': 'D:\usr\sap\JRC\BOBI\InstallData\InstallCache\setup.core-4.0-core-32\14.1.6.1702\actions\;D:\app\11.2.0.4\client_1;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\'.

17:02:35.408 NativeActionExecutor: calling action entry point.

I had faced a similar issue before and on killing the hanged installation and reinitiating the installation, the problem was solved.I tried the same today but it doesnt seem to work.

can anyone help?

0 Kudos

One step beyond.
I tried on the base of the SAP Note 2284007 - "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error while running BI 4.x patch install" to reset on the SQLLite-Installation history, but the setup.exe failed immediately with the error message  "internal error detected. Program will exit".
I was recommended to install everything from the scratch ...
Anybody out there with similar experience? Thanks

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roland,

I moved this to the BI platform space for faster response

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is a generic error. You can look at the install logs located under <installDir>/InstallData/logs

I would recommend to use Patch History to have an overview of the operations you ran (and a reference point for the various install/maintenance/uninstall times):

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/BOE+and+Data+Services+Patch+History+Analysis+Tool

My advice would be to look at the issue when you first had a problem

If the log for that install is missing in InstallData/logs, check KBA 1801736 to see if the log was not moved

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1801736

You can parse the install log with the FLR available below.

There's a parser available for the setupengine.log which helps highlight potential problems (it won't give a straight answer, but it does a fair bit of highlighting and trimming of the log for the various parts of the install)

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Flexible+Log+Reader

If you have any problem finding information relevant to the issue from there, open an incident with support under the BI-BIP-DEP component for this.

This issue can occur because of missing InstallCache or C++ libraries missing on the environment for known causes but it could be something else

Regards

0 Kudos

Hello Romain, thanks for the fast response!

The last line of the setupengine.log are saying:

13:22:37.288 Changing state of feature complete to: Install
13:22:37.289 Error: GetIEDURevMapAndDUFolders is using the install cache to build a map of DU revisions for a given install entry.  This will not be reliable and may lead to incorrect results.
13:22:38.404 Error: Short du id no longer supported for ResolvedID: DufinalizationInfo.config
13:22:38.404 Error: Poco exception caught in File::list(vector)
13:22:38.404 Error: Class name:  class Poco::PathNotFoundException
13:22:38.404 Error: Display text: Path not found: \\?\D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\InstallCache\dufinalizationinfo.config-4.0-core-nu
13:22:38.405 Error: Assert(revisionFolders.size() > 0) failed in file .\InstallStateMigrator.cpp line 106
No revisions found in cache for du: D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\InstallCache\dufinalizationinfo.config-4.0-core-nu\

I attach the whole logfile too

btw: why I cannot PASTE in this post-editor? only in HTML mode it's possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

First potential issue here is a product seed missing. But it would appear the install continues even without it

13:16:02.634 Parsing product seed file: D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\InstallCache\zen.integration.zen.boe.webclient-4.0-core-nu\16.1.2.716\product.seed.xml

13:16:02.634 Error: Could not open file D:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\InstallCache\zen.integration.zen.boe.webclient-4.0-core-nu\16.1.2.716\product.seed.xml

The installer goes on for another 5mn before it actually stops on the place you mention. I can't find a reference to the folder <InstallDir>\InstallData\InstallCache\dufinalizationinfo.config-4.0-core-nu on my system either, but my BI 4.2 SP2 with Design Studio 1.6 upgrade I use for reference is not on 16.1.2.716 but 16.0.5.339 so my ref point might be bias.

Check as well the Event Viewer if it gives any further hint on the cause of the install crash, but you will need an incident with support for this I suspect. This should actually be raised with BI-RA-AD-BIP unlike stated in my first answer (the Design Studio BI Platform integration team)

Edit: PS on the copy/paste issue - I have the same problem in IE. Switching to Chrome makes things a bit smoother.

0 Kudos

If you see the whole installation history, I started with 1.5 on SAP BI 4.1.

Making the upgrade to 4.2 and then AFTER this the try to upgrade DS too it fails.

So my second try (I did a snapshot of the VM) started with the UNINSTALL of DS 1.5 and then the upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2. After I started the install of DS 1.6 as new installation, but the same error came up.

Seems to be some odd information in the registry ore in one of the million JARs and XMLs ...

There were announced the next service pack for DS, right?

What could I do?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The log you provided seem to indicate this is a "resuming install" scenario (line 14694).

So there was a previous attempt to install DS and this looks like a "second run" log. It would be better to see the log when it first failed.

My best recommendation is to work with us through a support incident for this issue.

As to the next release of DS, I do not have that information Im afraid.

Regards

0 Kudos

yes, as I said, I tried more than one time, but in each way the error was the same (having uninstalled DS 1.5 before 4.1 -> 4.2 upgrade). yes, indeed I will open an incident.

thanks a lot