Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today in the Office... (Security)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem: Some users were able to maintain several tables using TCODE SE16 in a production system. For example currency exchange rates.

Solution: Take away TCODE SE16, create a custom TCODE that executes a custom coded SE16 version that does not allow modification of data.

Some highlights of the discussion:

• “We will raise a message with SAP because this is a bug. SE16/SE16N is a data browser and should not allow modification of data”
  • “Users got activity 02 through some other role”
  • "Some tables are maintainable in production. No idea why"
  • “User needs maintenance permission of another table of the group, so he got it for all tables”

5 REPLIES 5

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting... the question 'why users have access to SE16N in PRD' never came up...

It must be a lot of fun to work in your company... love the discussion highlights and the brilliant solution.

0 Kudos

Hello,

As my experience and in my opinion authorization group is not enough for SAP table authorizations.

There are alot of Non-classified tables (&NC&) tables including SAP objects and customer objects.

If you give &NC& auth to anyone and SE16 it means that that person can display all non-classified tables.

There must be an authorization with table names.

I also created ZE16 tx with Z_TABU_NAM auth object. So I can give table display authorization using table name.

AFAIK SE16N is restricted anymore and cannot be used for changing tables.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

0 Kudos

AFAIK SE16N is restricted anymore and cannot be used for changing tables.

There are companies running outdated systems, where note 1420281 is not implemented.

Anyway, I can't think of a business scenario where users need SE16N.

Support consultants or developers - ok, they need SE16 in PRD from time to time, but I thought they get only display authorizations (for any kind of stuff) out of Firefighter (or whatever SAP calls it now).

0 Kudos

Veselina Peykova wrote:

I can't think of a business scenario where users need SE16N.

This does exist and is frequently caused by tables without maintenance views and transport connection. Mainly caused by the convenience of SE16N itself.

A means to an end.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I am not a security expert or a developer, but this seems rather sloppy.

If it is just to display some data to a business user, even a functional consultant knows how to create and assign queries and add authorization checks (if you can't afford an ABAPer).

And if the business has to maintain stuff in PRD in z-tables- is it really that hard to create a transaction, which calls a maintenance view and assign it to a role?

I've never seen SE16 granted to the business in any system... still digesting the idea... especially as for exchange rate display/maintain there is absolutely no reason to give SE16N - TCURMNT works just fine (in my sandbox table TCURR is the only one with authorization group FB32).

This means - either the FI consultant was not aware of a common standard transaction or somebody granted SE16N for all authorization groups... In both cases this is scary, but in the second case - I wonder if the users found PA0008/PA0015