Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cascading filters in SP02

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

according to this document:

https://www.asug.com/discussions/servlet/JiveServlet/download/44328-4-48090/SAP_Design_Studio_Webina...

Design studio 1.6 SP02 would see cascading filters working for .unx.

But, after some testing I have found this to not be true. A filterbar does, for example, not filter the dimension members in a listbox with data binding.

Does cascading filters work in Design Studio somewhere? Through some special combination of components?

/E

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to create a three level unx cascading filter using dimension filters - no scripts, just have to set the members for filtering to 'Only Values with Posted Data' for the second and third level dimension in the initial view.

I was also able to create a two level unx cascading filter using dropdown boxes (the child dropdown being populated by a on select event of the parent dropdown). Not successful with populating the third dropdown via a on select of the second dropdown, though.

former_member195675
Participant
0 Kudos

Did you use one datasource for the different filters of several? For me, when i have selected 'only values with posted data', I cant even get the listbox filled (neither through data binding, nor through script).

Edit: Nevermind, I wasn't working in m mode. I now have a two level cascading (listbox) filter up and running as well, with a single datasource. I don't see why a third level wouldn't work, but I'll test it for myself.

Edit 2: Third level works as well, using databinding for source and target. I guess the trick is to use m mode.

0 Kudos

Bobby,

Can you explain in a little more detail how you have the cascading dropdown working against a unx datasource.

On select of dropdown1, I have a setfilter on the datasource and setitems on dropdown_2 (all based on the same datasource). However, I am still seeing all values in dropdown_2.

Thank You

former_member195675
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

I saw you asked the same question in another thread, I figured this would be a more appropriate place to answer.

the set items command, for some reason, doesn't seem to work in m mode. You should just use databinding for the dropdowns (for source as well as target). For the second, cascaded, dimension you should set members for filtering to 'only value with posted data' in the initial view.

This should work, at least for single selects.

0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I've still not successfully got this working.

You're definitely using .unx, aren't you? Are you using the same query for both dropdown boxes or two seperate? I'm setting data binding for source and target on dropdown_1 and just source on dropdown_2. I either get all items or no items in dropdown 2 depending how I set 'Members for Filtering' in 'Initial View'.

Is the process documented somewhere or in a blog?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

there is a guide for cascading filter: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-33798

Regards,

Giulia

0 Kudos

Hi Giulia,

That doesn't apply to UNX datasources

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here's how I've done it.

I have a universe with product line, product group, product, and a measure.

I create three data sources on the above universe.

DS_1: measure, product line, product group

Initial view: col:measure, row:product line

DS_2: measure, product group, product line

Initial view: col:measure, row:product group (members for filtering set to only values with posted data), product line

DS_3: measure, product group, product

Initial view: col:measure, row:product (members for filtering set to only values with posted data), product group

create three dimension filters

Filter_1: Data source:DS_1, Target Data Source:DS_2, Dimension:product line

Filter_2: Data source:DS_2, Target Data Source:DS_3, Dimension:product group

Filter_3: Data source DS_3, Target Data Source:other source, Dimension:product

Works in both UI5 & UI5 m modes.

0 Kudos

Thanks for taking the time to resond.

I'm still unable to successfully achieve this. Whenever I set 'members for filtering' -> 'only values with posted data' I get no members returned, and whenever I leave it set to default ('Values in fact table'), I get all members. Maybe I'm experiencing a bug.

I'm running 1.6 SP2 against SQLServer .UNX

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

Can you clarify why you're using three separate data sources on the same universe?  In this scenario, you should be able to achieve the desired cascading dimension filters with only one data source on the universe, as described in the following tutorial:

Design Studio 1.2: Create a cascading dimension filter

Although this approach was originally applicable only to BW data sources, it should now also be applicable to UNX data sources given that cascading filter support for UNX data sources is supposed to be available as of SP02.

In terms of cascading filter support in general, I think the important point to keep in mind is that for all data source types that are supposed to include cascading filter support, in theory, the SAME cascading filter approach should apply to all such data source types.  Hence, the approach described in the tutorial above should now also apply to UNX data sources.  At least that's how it should work if the cascading filter feature has been implemented in a consistent manner across the supported data sources, which is what would normally be expected.

Regards,

Mustafa.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Now that cascading filter support for UNX data sources is included in SP02, the approach described in the tutorial Giulia has referenced should in fact apply, as should the following dimension filter approach: 

Have you tried them?

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

If my memory is correct, I arrived at this modelling approach after concluding that the tutorial approach doesn't work on unx sources (my memory may be wrong).

One confirmation - the tutorial mentions that you must ensure that the data source dimensions have a hierarchical relationship. This I understand to mean that the dimensions should be modelled in either a parent-child or level hierarchy relationship (as in HANA).

I can't ensure this hierarchy relationship on a universe data source since Design Studio does not seem to understand the 'navigation path' hierarchies defined on a universe; hence a different approach to modelling may be required.

Regards,

Bobby

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the clarification.  My understanding of the "hierarchical relationship" requirement for cascading filters is simply a level hierarchy.  However, I don't think this needs to be explicitly modelled in the universe but it is inferred from the "Only Values with Posted Data" member filter setting in Initial View Editor.  For example, with BW data sources, we might have a data source with dimensions Country, Region and City which we want to use as a cascading filter but we don't have to explicitly define/model any kind of hierarchical relationship between them on the BW side.  All that is needed is the "Only Values with Posted Data" setting in Design Studio.

Therefore, in your example, I would have expected that specifying Product Line, Product Group and Product in a single data source would have been treated as a cascading filter by Design Studio, as long as the "Only Values with Posted Data" setting has been applied to each dimension.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

I tried the tutorial approach with unx data but it didn't work...

It may be a bug, but after selecting the first level dimension member and clicking on the second dimension filter, I get an error  (Unexpected error: while trying to load from index 1 of an object array with length 1, loaded from field java.util.Arrays$ArrayList.a of an object loaded from local variable 'this').

Regards,

Bobby

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've posted a youtube video on how this was done:

Design Studio 1.6 SP2: creating cascading dimension filters based on unx data sources - YouTube

DS 1.6 SP2 on SQL Server 2008/BI4.1 SP6

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the confirmation.  I am inclined to think this is a bug.  Have you considered raising an SAP Support ticket?

Regards,

Mustafa.

0 Kudos

Bobby, from your youtube video I noticed that you're not in m Mode. I tried the steps in standard mode and it worked fine. However, m mode does not.

I think that's part of the issue.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Actually, I've migrated the same application to UI5 m and I get the same behavior (it works fine).

On your UI5 application that works, have you tried migrating to UI5 m?

Regards

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Emil,

Yes, like you, I was expecting full cascading filter support for Universes (and CSV data sources) in SP02.  Can you clarify your findings though?  Did you mean the Filter Bar DOES work but property bound Listboxes DO NOT work?

Thanks,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My clarification is that no component which uses Data Binding listens to filters made. Data binding seems to list ALL dimension members, disregarding filters on the dataset.

Filter bars are a bit different since you don't use data binding for these analytic components. However they do not adhere to filters already applied to the dataset either.