cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB6: Lean path from DPF to Single partition?

henningbussmann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear SAP-DB6-experts,

we want to switch from DPF-multi-partition to single-partition since we want to benefit from BLU acceleration and our databases are located on a single server so they don't really benefit from the multi-partition.

Our lean approach was to use SWPM and export the database using the option "System Copy -> Source System -> Based on AS ABAP -> Database Instance Export" and then on the same server "System Copy -> Target System -> Base on AS ABAP -> Database Refresh or Move".

Unfortunately when we dropped the db between the steps than SWPM couldn't connect to the target system (which makes sense) and didn't want to proceed. If we don't drop the database then SWPM insists on installing the database in the same structure. So we don't get rid of DPF.

We had opened a message at SAP-support who confirmed this.

The recommendation would be:

1) Move all tables to new tablespaces in partition 0 using DB6CONV. Then drop the other partitions.

Downside: This would take weeks with a very poor performance of the system. Additional load from DB6CONV plus very unbalanced load on the partitions.

2) Install a new system on a new server use export-import via SWPM.

Downside: a) Additional hardware. b) All partner connections in other systems would need to be reconfigured.

3) Export the system, uninstall the SAP-system and reinstall on the same server using the exported database.

Downside: The installation could only be started after the database was exported. This means high risk if there are any issues with the new installation. No fallback and complete restore of database and binaries would be lengthy.

Can anyone recommend a lean, smooth and low-risk process to get from multi- to single-partition?

Best regards,

Henning

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member251466
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Henning,

Since DB2 11.1 supports scale-out with BLU, might that offer you another option?  It would depend on SAP announcing support, obviously.

Regards, Jeremy

henningbussmann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

Thank for responding to my discussion. If we would wait until it is officially supported, we could go in that direction.

It is controversial whether or not DPF makes sense if the database is running on just one server (LPAR). I expect improved usage of the memory resources with a single partition since the load in our system is not at all equally distributed among the partitions. Our productive database has only about 1.3 TB.

Therefore I would want to switch to single partition anyway.

Best regards, Henning

vijaygovindan
Explorer
0 Kudos

My sources tell me that SAP will support BLU/HADR feature for DPF environment as of version 11.1. Release date by SAP is sometime in September .

regards, Vijay

Answers (0)