cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to instantiate CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument in Windows 10

0 Kudos

Hello, all,

I have installed Crystal Reports CRforVS_13_0_17.exe to support Visual Studio 2015.

Application that uses CR tries to do the following

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument document = new CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument();

...which produces

The type initializer for 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' threw an exception.

Inner Exception is:

{"An error has occurred while attempting to load the Crystal Reports runtime.\n\nEither the Crystal Reports registry key permissions are insufficient or the Crystal Reports runtime is not installed correctly.\n\nPlease install the appropriate Crystal Reports redistributable (CRRedist*.msi) containing the correct version of the Crystal Reports runtime (x86, x64, or Itanium) required.  Please go to http://www.businessobjects.com/support for more information."}

We have had installations of CR run on Windows 8 and not produce any errors, also the same application succeeds on machine operating Windows 10 that is installed as upgrade of Windows 8.

This situation happens only on 'clean' installations of Windows 10.

Could you, please, help with solving this issue? Any help highly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SDK still has a dependency on the Microsoft C++ 2005 Redistributable, which is no longer installed by default in a "clean" Windows 10 install.  You'll need to do a search on MSDN to find this.  Then you'll need to do the following:

1.  Uninstall the Crystal for .NET runtime.

2.  Install the C++2005 files,

3.  Reinstall the Crystal for .NET runtime.

-Dell

0 Kudos

Hi, Dell,

thank you. I have done all 3 steps, including installing only C++ 2005 redistributable x86, then x64, then both versions, and keep getting this error, in same line.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have any thoughts, ?

-Dell

0 Kudos

Hi, Dell,

just to give an update. I have managed to find the possible cause of problems.

My solution was actually loading CR 11.5 dlls, which in fact kept producing the error, even after the steps you gave me regarding missing reproducibles.

I have corrected them to point to CR 13 versions, and now everything is working correctly.

So, thank you for that.

Still, I know have a different question ( if I need to post a new one in discussion space, please, let me know, I will)

Can you explain to me, how that other colleagues, who have been longer in this project, than myself, can manage to work on Windows 10 machines, have CR 13 installed on them, but load CR 11.5 dlls in solution, and manage to produce reports without gettting that error?

The only thing we all concluded as different in setting up our environment is the fact that they started off with Windoes 8 machines, and then later upgraded them to Windows 10.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If they had their machines working with the 11.5 .dlls before they upgraded to Windows 10, then whatever configuration they had would still work after the upgrade.

-Dell

Answers (0)