cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONE Support Launchpad Notes/KBA search vs legacy search...

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor

Hi,

I hope this is the right space for this kind of problems...

ONE Support Launchpad search seems to find considerably less Notes/KBAs than the legacy Note and KBA search. For example, a search for LE22AF01 finds only 3 Notes in Launchpad (for all release dates)

whereas legacy application finds 44 Notes.

Corrections for Note 2119625 missing from Launchpad definitely involves Include LE22AF01, assuming even that some of the old search results are false positives:

Switching profile language between DE and EN in launchpad does not affect the search results: still 3 DE/EN Notes found.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? 😐 Or is something not migrated/fine-tuned for Launchpad yet?

Is there/will there be some kind of information from SAP regarding the differences/improvements in Note search functionality in Launchpad compared to legacy..?

Unless the search language really makes no difference to Notes/KBAs found in Launchpad, or the search uses both DE and EN automatically, I question the wisdom of taking away the ability to easily choose the search language in the new app...

Edit in: search for  print_doc_simulation finds no Notes in Launchpad; legacy Note and KBAs search application finds 16 Notes... Also submitted this at Launchpad as feedback for Search..

Thanks and cheers,

Janis

Message was edited by: Jānis B

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

reinis_dzenis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jānis,

This behavior is due to launchpad user settings

There is roles parameter that influences what content is returned by search results.

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#notes/2213305

Click on your name on top right corner and select "User Profile".

In there edit "ROLES" section. Make sure that "On Premise" option is selected.

Save&Refresh. Now you should be able to search for technical objects just like in old note search.

P.S. you might as well want to deselect default "SuccessFactors" option unless you are actually using those.

Regards,

Reinis

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, unfortunately this doesn't do the trick (but is good to know), and the 'On Premise' Role in Profile was already selected correctly.

The search thing now even finds my SCN discussion , but still only 3 of the 44 Notes for LE22AF01

Out of curiosity - what do you guys find for LE22AF01...?

cheers

Janis

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Janis,

thanks for the feedback.

When looking at correction instructions, we focus in the new search more on the text of the correction instruction. This is why you receive less hits in the new search.

Please let us know if the note you were looking for has been in the result set of new search.

Thanks and kind regards, Arno

reinis_dzenis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Launchpad search for the "LE22AF01" query returns me same 3 results as for you.

While legacy search functionality would give 44 results ?! So yes, your'e perfectly right - even with that setting in place there is some big difference in what can you find via OLD vs NEW search

reinis_dzenis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Arno,

I could give you another interesting example - try searching for "BBY_DELETE_FORMS" in both legacy and launchpad search functionality.

Legacy search will return 3 notes - 2141687, 1300772, 1003308.

Launchpad search will return just 1 note - 2141687

Difference between those is that note 2141687 explicitly contains BBY_DELETE_FORMS keyword in note text under "Other Terms" section. On other hand notes 1300772 and 1003308 do not contain given keyword in text and thus are not found by launchpad search. Never the less they are relevant as they do contain correction instructions for include BBY_DELETE_FORMS.

It seems that unlike launchpad search, old search is taking into account actual correction instruction metadata - e.g. include, report, function, class, method names of objects contained in correction instructions.

And that was very useful feature to have. As SAP application support teams quite often identifies problems via debugger narrowing issue down to particular piece of SAP standard code. And afterwards SAP note search is made for all notes referring to given technical object (include, report, function, class). Would be great to have same functionality to be transferred to launchpad search as well...

Regards,

Reinis

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Please check. The Notes should now be found

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can confirm that LE22AF01 is now found in more correction instructions (code changes) as text:

However, unfortunately still not in all relevant Notes... Note 2075938 is one interesting example. Launchpad corrections instructions (code changes) have "comment" part that contains LE22AF01 (at least when displaying), but it will not be found (for all release dates):

Another interesting effect can be seen when searching for FILL_DOC_TABLES - FILL_DESC_TABLE and fill_desc_table will be found as well:

I'd of course not mind some extra wrong/irrelevant hits... if that's the price to pay for finding more relevant hits . In this case the irrelevant finds can easily be filtered away by Component. When filtering on relevant Component IS-U-IN-PC, Launchpad leaves me with 4 Notes - all containing the search term used.

Which unfortunately is still less than the 7 Notes legacy application finds...

In summary: the search is better now, but there si still some work to do, I feel.

Thank you and best regards,

Janis

P.s. My next Launchpad challenge is: how do I get a list of all Notes relevant to Application Component/Area IS-U-IN-PC, within, say, last 3 years (I usually "need" those before upgrades, I order to get the feel of potential for "disruption"  )?

I could do it in Legacy app using search, after enough filtering.  This new app is nice, but is restricted to 60 days at the moment.

reinis_dzenis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Notes  relating to BBY_DELETE_FORMS are now successfully found and given functionality gap seems to be gone. Thanks a lot!

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not here unfortunately - still the same problems as yesterday

I did find somewhat acceptable way of getting to the lists of notes I "need" to look over before upgrade - Support Package Note list (for example https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/supportpackage/SAPK-61709INISUT) allows to filter by SAP component. If only I could figure out where I could get the list of support packs available for our system.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suspect Launchpad must be be having a bad day at the moment, and know that running simple often requires operating highly complex systems behind the scenes (and that things will likely be fixed soon), but I still can't resist

cheers

Janis

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Legacy apps are not coming back, that ship has sailed, sorry.

The best thing we can get is improve what we have now. This can only be done by sending feedback to SAP using the official channels, not SCN. Officially the vast majority of the Launchpad users is not complaining. (Pretty much like SCN Beta with a bunch of "looks great" feedback.)

I've submitted two search related feedbacks today, hopefully it will trickle down somewhere.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Where do you submit these?  I keep getting search timeout issues...

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

at the bottom left

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Jelena Perfiljeva wrote:

Legacy apps are not coming back, that ship has sailed, sorry.

The best thing we can get is improve what we have now. This can only be done by sending feedback to SAP using the official channels, not SCN. Officially the vast majority of the Launchpad users is not complaining. (Pretty much like SCN Beta with a bunch of "looks great" feedback.)

I've submitted two search related feedbacks today, hopefully it will trickle down somewhere.

Admire your optimism.

Automakers usually recall hundreds of thousands after barely a half dozen of accidents. Same here, those who take time to feedback on Launchpad MUST ALL be contacted and reassured imho. SAP instead keeps producing blogs on how New Launchpad is a way to go into the future and how good the features are. This is not going to work. Simply put back legacy search and meanwhile keep improving Launchpad. Customers and VARs on SCN are mad of new search and that’s a fact as of today. Show me somebody (other than SAP employees) who’s happy with new search, please.

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I guess I could try and submit that IMO there must be an "extended search", which enables to search (not filter!) at least by Component, Language and date range, and to perform "exact search" by at least one criteria... And that I do not want the thing to *err* spend even one millisecond on "searching for solution" on SCN, Support portal or Sybase - I want to be able to turn off searching everything except Notes and KBAs!

I just don't believe it makes one bit of difference

To be honest, I did find what I was hoping to find in the morning, after filtering on component - maybe the thing will take some time to get used to. Good thing I don't need to deal with CheckMan.

@Anton

Nah, SCN is the place I "petition" from time to time - maybe it will help someone somwhere.

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

feedback submitted via the feedback application is checked regularly. Since this channel is offered to all our 1.5 Mio S-Users, we cannot directly reply to all suggestions submitted via the feedback application.

This is mentioned within the application, as well as in the blog article ‘Tips and Tricks SAP ONE Support Launchpad: How to best interact with SAP’, which describers the various ways how to best interact with SAP

Kind regards, Arno

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know and I didn't expect a reply, I was just surprised that your reply yesterday sounded as if it was not already known.

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

yes, the issue as described in http://scn.sap.com/thread/3951078 is already addressed.

Kind regards, Arno

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the feedback - I also noticed that you submitted it yesterday via the feedback application. Best way to report bugs would be to open a ticket, see also the Blog: Tips and Tricks SAP ONE Support Launchpad: How to best interact with SAP

However, since I am already aware of your issue, please contact me by email (available in my profile) and send me the search terms for which you are getting time outs.

We will then take a look at it and get back to you.

Kind regards, Arno

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Few minutes ago I searched the notes for "credit check PGI". The second result from the top was this note: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1939969/E ('1939969 - checkman', the note text is rather funny btw). There is no sign of "credit" and "PGI" in this note, so no way "AND" condition is applied to the keywords.

Entered the feedback on the website. This is quite something...

Edit: on a bright side, this keeps me abreast of different SAP functionality, how else would I ever know there is "checkman" in GRC?

Message was edited by: Jelena Perfiljeva

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm trying to find notes involving some BDT Event function modules with funky names like ISU_FICA_EVENT_XCHNG and I'm starting to regret saying that finding more stuff, even if irrelevant, is better... And if I'm reading correctly, there is no way to preform "exact" search!?

The legacy note search was more or less usable application... The rest of comments about "fuzzy" searching for notes I should probably write only when I have calmed down somewhat...

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why the legacy note search? Why not using Google instead?

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Juergen L wrote:

Why the legacy note search? Why not using Google instead?

May be it's because as dutiful Send Another Payment (aka SAP) customers we're entitled to access freely and easily to support, the true value of which (shhh...just between us, heh?) is only access to notes when comes to troubleshoot an issue?

Or google indexes OSS notes somehow and I'm missing something here?

Sorry Jurgen, end of day, kind of tired. Might miss your idea

Jelena
Active Contributor

Juergen L wrote:

I just meant as search engine, they are familiar with searching, its their business.

Hear hear. I've been saying this for 10 years already. Just fold it and bolt on the Google search. Despite all the effort (and no disrespect to those involved) neither internal SCN search nor support portal could never ever measure up to it.

As a matter of fact, I even pointed to Google functionality in my feedback. Google deals with much more data yet somehow it always seems to know what I search for. It's almost scary but extremely convenient.

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your feedback.

With the next release of the Search, we plan to introduce settings. Besides of addressing different opinions about displaying snippets or title only (this will be made customizable by the introduction of settings),The number of items displayed on a result page, it will address different opinions about Fuzziness: In the settings, the user can decide to use a fuzzy or exact search.

We already communicated this in the German roll out session of our piloting program. Feel free to join the piloting program. The next English session is on Tuesday, September 6th: 16:30 - 17:30 CET.

Kind regards, Arno

vonglan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

One advantage of an SAP-specific search (vs. Google) could be, that it could use the data from your "favorite system", so you would only get the notes that are relevant for your system (components/releases/SPs). I thought this was how the new note search app works, but I could not get it to work.

I opened a ticket. (Not knowing whether it is a bug, wrong usage of the tool, of a feature request.)

vonglan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernhard,

that looks like a very interesting tool, thanks for the info.

However, my use case is different: I want to have an overview of all new/updated notes for an area (restricted to the ones that are relevant for my system).

Is this possible anywhere?

Best regards,

Edo

Bernhard
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Arno, Edo,

yes, this is an efficient search!

ANST is complementary: you can see, for a defined process / Txn that you execute in your system, if there is a new ABAP correction for any of the ABAP objects constituing coding that you are executing. You will find then the notes that contain the corresponding corrections.

This is especially relevant in HCM and also FI where there are a lot of code changes to reflect changing legal requirements. That said, for S/4 HANA on prem it might be useful in the near future in more areas...

Regards

Bernhard

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

44 Notes found for LE22AF01 in Lauchpad - good job, guys!

One last gripe, hopefully: this is probably to be expected and is by no means any kind of defect, but searches that used to find "necessary" stuff on legacy, do not seem to work that well in launchpad... To illustrate:

search for 'creation of correspondence type events' puts the Note I was looking for at the top in legacy app:

whereas in Launchpad it's not among the first 8 finds (even when filtered on right application component

Thanks and cheers,

Janis

former_member195727
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Janis,

I am glad to hear, that the nmb of results now meets your expectations.

Regarding the search query 'creation of correpondence type events':

We will look why the rating is so high of Note 685195 in the legacy search. To find that Note in the new search, please filter by Component 'XX-PROJ-FI-CA' after seraching. Note 685195 can then be found at the bottom of page 2 of the result list.

Kind regards, Arno

Alterman
Participant
0 Kudos

Arno -  You made things much worse than they were before. 

"A search for 'all' similar to a search for '*' is currently not offered by the SAP ONE Support Search."

Yeah, no kidding. 

There shouldn't be tricks, you should have made search easier, not harder.  Up go SAP support and implementation costs.

Can you set inactivity timeout to 2 seconds?  Because your current setting of something like 10 is too long.  Make them click more.

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Today the results list looks much better, though not yet perfect: 38 Notes found for LE22AF01:

and all 16 Notes for print_doc_simulation

For  term fill_doc_tables launchpad search finds more irrelevant (FILL_DESC_TABLE, fill_pridoc_tables, FILL_POST_DOC_TABLES, change_doc_tables_fill_duttrap, fill_chdocs_tables) results, which in this case can easily be filtered away using SAP Component.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just searched for LE22AF01 in the Launchpad and it returned 7 notes (the release date filter needs to be removed to see them all, as the message indicates):

I didn't change any of my profile settings (except for chosing "on premise" role) and the only difference from your screenshot is that my default language is English. And it shows the same number as available in German for me. Quite strange...

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep, now it's 7 LE22AF01 Notes for all release dates for me as well; 2075938 is still not found.

cheers

Janis

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just went to check again and today it shows 8 notes, including the one you mentioned. What the...

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LOL yes, you're right!

Thanks, dear HANA/Launchpad search gnomes - we're getting there. But these:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/corrins/0001999427/951/corrinsdetail/0001427013/951/0120031469/0...

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/corrins/1946124/951

as well as potentially 34 others are still absent from search results

AntonFarenyk
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Janis,

Thank you for pointing this out.

More posts like this will help all of decision makers at SAP to reconsider Aug.15 deadline set for retiring old search unless this bug (and many others) get fixed IMHO.

Answering partially to your question regarding information about differences - may be the following link could help:

SAP Notes & KBAs | SAP Support Portal

Best regards,

Anton