cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SAP DS/BODS for uploading file in HANA?

anandtigadikar
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm new to this area and looking to get some help ...thanks in advance...

I have a requirement, where i want to use SAP DS/BODS for uploading CSV file where source is non-sap environment - legacy and Target is HANA DB.

I have been going through some of the documents / white papers and feel doing this thru SAP DS~ BODS is good and easy way, correct me if i'm wrong??

Also, with respect to security and opening up of ports for doing ftp of this file, i'm looking to get answers --

1. Does BODS, have the capability of extracting the file directly from source servers , where this files are stored & then do the transformation to HANA nodes ?

2. Or Should i be uploading/ftping this file manually to BODS node and then doing this transformation to HANA??

3. Any other ways , which i don't have idea on, will help me to get my task completed??

Please be free to share your comments and experience/challenges/flaws/risk, which you had while doing this??

-Anand.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208402
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

You can get file from other servers to BODS server using BODS script and the function u should be using is 'copy_from_remote_system().

You can Transform and load using BODS.

use this below link to see how this function works.

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbods42/en/ds_42_reference_en.pdf

check page no 859.

anandtigadikar
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi, Quick question -- This feature picking up file from remote location/file system  is applicable only for source where systems are from SAP Netweaver? Can't we have this files to be picked up from any remote node like dumping/file shared node??

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should go with the second option. Process the CSV file in BODS using File Format and then do the necessary transformations and then load the data to SAP HANA Database.

Regards

Arun Sasi

anandtigadikar
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks, what are the Pro's and con's of doing it?

And first option is possible?

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First option is also possible.

Data services has introduced a feature called File Location from DS 4.2 SP5 onwards. If you are on this or above this service pack then you can refer to below link

SAP Data Services File Location Object - YouTube

Regards

Arun Sasi

anandtigadikar
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for information Ravi & Arun.

Will check out on the same...

anandtigadikar
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Arun, Quick question -- This feature picking up file from remote location/file system  is applicable only for source where systems are from SAP Netweaver? Can't we have this files to be picked up from any remote node like dumping/file shared node??

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am afraid. In that case you will have to write batch script which will copy/move the files from the shared server

Regards

Arun Sasi