Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Service

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have installed SQL iAnywhere on A Machine, and created SQL Database on B Machine, but i got stuck to create database service on B Machine.

A and B are in Same network.

Do i need to create the service with below script?

-n Afaria.db

-x tcpip \\IP. Address\c\Users\Afaria\Desktop\Database\SQLAnywhere\Data\Afaria.db

Could you please suggest me.

Regards,

VP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_loop
Contributor
0 Kudos

V P,

SQL Anywhere does not support loading a database located on a different machine than the one on which the software resides. The database would run a high risk of corruption. Additionally, if the service is created as a LocalSystem account, it would not have the ability to access a network location. This is an intended behaviour of Windows.

Please install the SQL Anywhere software on the machine where the database is to reside.

Regards,

Mike Loop - SAP  Product Support

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Is there a way where i can create database service on a Machine where database resides, without installing SQL Anywhere software?

Regards,

VP

michael_loop
Contributor
0 Kudos

V P,

You need the SQL Anywhere software to load the database, but if you don't want to run the installer, for instance if you do not want to create registry entries or environment variables, you can just copy a basic set of files.

To run the database server, please see the list of files here. To create the service, you will also need dbsvc.exe. Just copy this file to the same folder as the server files.

Afaria does not test deployment with this type of DBMS deployment, so it is possible that there are one or two other files that will be needed as well. However, once SQL Anywhere is up and running with all the required libraries, Afaria should run as normal.

If the database is to reside on a SAN rather than a full-fledged machine, this configuration is supported. If the SAN can be mapped as a local drive, it should just work. If it requires a network connection, you will probably need to create the service to run under a user account rather than LocalSystem.

I hope this answers your question.

Mike Loop - SAP Product Support

michael_loop
Contributor
0 Kudos

I just re-read your original post. If your intention was to have the SQL Anywhere software on machine A, but have the dbsrv16.exe process running on machine B, this should work, with some sacrifices in stability.

First of all, the network location of dbsrv16.exe must be accessible to the user account that is running the database service. This could be by UNC or mapped drive. The LocalSystem account won't work.

Second, if the network connection is slower to start up than the SQL Anywhere service on startup, then the executable will be unavailable and the service will fail.

Finally, if there is any kind of network interruption when dbsrv16.exe needs to access a library, the service will crash and the database will risk corruption.

I hope one of the scenarios I have outlined matches your requirements.

Regards,

Mike Loop -  SAP Product Support

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

Thank you for brief explanation.

Could you please assist me to create service on B Machine.?

What command i need to use?

Regards,

VP

michael_loop
Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is an example of a command line using the SQL Anywhere Service Utility (dbsvc.exe):

dbsvc -t Network -s Automatic -a MyDomain\MyUser -p MyPassword -i -sn "SQL Anywhere - AfariaDBsvc" -y -w "afariadbsvc" "C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 16\Bin64\dbsrv16.exe" -n AfariaDBService e:\database\afaria.db

Type "dbsvc /?" at the command prompt to get options to custom this to your use.

Regards,

Mike Loop - SAP Product Suppport

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you

Answers (0)