cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PD 16.6 served client slow

0 Kudos

Hi Every one,  We recently bought power designer and we still learning many things in this amazing tool, we were using ERstudio with 200 clients  and more than 600 models, some of then very large.

My concerning with PD 16.6 is the slow in the clients machines, we have windows machines with at least 4gb of memory and core I3 and for reverse engeering for exemple, that should be fast it takes about 10 to 15 minutes ! We are connected in a DB2 10 for Zos thru ODBC. But is not the only operation that is slow, some times the machine it isn't executing anything and PD just stopped !

Does some has an answer  or knows what I have to do to improve the installation and make the software faster   ??

Att,

Nilton Morais

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I would hope that you are on the 64-bit PD. As you use larger models, it will help, even in a 4GB memory box.

When reverse-engineering, do not create the symbols on the default diagram. This is most likely where you might be seeing a lot of the delay as PD is attempting to draw the initial diagram after already completing the reverse-engineering of the database. You can always add objects later to any diagram.

Also make sure that your connection to the database is properly tuned (larger network packet sizes, larger fetch sizes, larger buffers) as reverse engineering via ODBC makes a lot of calls to catalog tables.

Chris

0 Kudos

Hi Chris, Thanks for your answer  ! I´m using 64 bits ended but it is not helping at all, sometimes the PDSHELL.EXE  just stopped working and close with out any explanation or not response.

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

What version of Windows are you running?  Is there other software installed in Windows (e.g. security hooks, etc).

Make sure that your .Net environment is up-to-date and patched.  pdshell16.exe uses .Net.  There is another executable, pdlegacyshell16.exe, that does not use .Net.  Try testing with that to see if there are any errors or if the process completes (use pdlegacyshell16.exe for testing, but it does not have ll the benefits of the full pdshell16.exe GUI that uses .Net),

From there, I would suggest logging a support incident with SAP.

Chris

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

If you have a large model, then PD could be requiring more memory.  Try reverse-engineering a smaller set of tables.

Chris

0 Kudos

I´m using windows 7 Professional  64bits and the .NET is in version 4.5.1. I will try to your suggestion ( pdlegacyshell16.exe)   .

thanks a lot.

Answers (0)