cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying compiled script logic between application sets

0 Kudos

Question:  We have separate test and production environments for BPC.  When we update script logic, we validate and save it in the test environment first, then copy the lgf file to production and validate and save it the separately in production.  I know that validating and saving  it updates the lgx compiled version.

Can we just copy the lgx and lgf versions from our test environment to production and skip the step of validating and saving in production?  Would copying the lgx file take the place of the separate compile step in production?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

the best practice is to you use the transport system from any wnvironment to the next, as QA to Prod, but in MS version of bpc it's also possible to manually copy the various objects, report, script, etc.

You can also copy the lgx file but you must have some points clear in mind:

• normally packages use the .lgf file so they will create dinamically the lgx file during execution
  • if packages use lgx files, then copying lgx from DEV or QA you must be sure that master data are aligned in all your environments because lgx expand and fix the script with the member values contained in the related environment, to verify it just open any lgx file with notepad. This is why it's better to recreate the lgx in Prod system through validation
  • if you do this because you receive an error during validation in Prod system then this is not a good idea, better to understand where is the issue or share it and ask for help

Regards

Roberto

0 Kudos

The Prod and QA environments are identical in all respects.  I haven't experienced any errors; I was just asking a question driven by laziness on my part.. seeing whether I could skip an unnecessary step.

But you bring up a good point.  If a human forgets to copy a metadata change in Prod to QA and the script change relies on the existence of that change,  the validation step in QA is a good way to catch that before releasing the revision to production.  Thanks much.

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ok, if only for lazyness, verify if packages use only lgf files in this case you don't need to copy lgx otherwise if you need lgx in some package you have to choose to copy lgx and risk some weird issue (after months will you remember this discussion as a possible cause?) or to do after script changes a little effort and validate the package in the new environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike please close the discussion if your queries are answered!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Dint completely understand what is it that you want to achieve....Are you receiving an error while copying?? Are you manually copying the file to Production environment or what??

And why do you want to skip the Validating step in Production??? I doesn't harm anything in System. Instead of copy best way is to transport the script changes from Dev to QA to Staging(Prod). This would solve your lgf and lgx problems.

Regards,

JP