cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to ask basic questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm new to this forum and to crystal reporting. I posted a question "How to create a subquery within a subquery". This question was rejected since it's a basic question. Where can I ask my basic questions?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Debra

Basic questions are rejected when they fall under the categories of frequently ask question or basic training where there is a supply of material available. Also, the questions should be typically asked within the space for the topic (Training and Education Space is for SAP Education Products).

Where the item is frequently asked, you should be able to search for your answer or check out training.sap.com, help.sap.com, open.sap.com, experience.sap.com (lots of SAP sites depending on your topic).

There are times when basic questions have validity - such as new products and lack of material available. In these situations you need to demonstrate that you have search, explain the issue and what your understanding is and show that you have made attempts to resolve this.

When learning new items it might feel like participating in SCN is a challenge. However, posts are rejected to maintain the quality of SCN by remove noise of repeated questions.

In relation to your question, "subquery within a subquery" you asked "I would like to create a main report with a subquery and then within the subquery create another subquery. Is that possible?". This question is not very clear as you have not explained which part of SAP you are working on. Is it ABAP or another language. I rejected the post as the question appeared simplistic to me (although I am not a developer". Had it had more details I may have been able to point you in a better direction.

Good luck with your learning and hope you are able to find the information you are after. Some links to get you started with SCN:

Regards

Colleen

P.s. moving from Training & Education to SCN Support

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the ABAP space, there is an expectation that the posters:

a) Know the basics of how to program

b) Have completed some kind of training course, or have worked through a book about ABAP

c) Have read the keyword documentation

d) Understand basic SAP and technology concepts

If these expectations clearly haven't been met, then the post will be rejected. SCN is not a training site.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The question should be not "where" but "whether". Unless it's a brand new product (Crystal Reports have been around for ages), most questions likely have already been answered on SCN. This site is over 10 years old, so assuming that not a single person ever posted the same question before would be unreasonable.

If you just type the question in Google and add 'site:sap.com' (or use the link Gretchen mentioned) you should find quite a few existing posts. Even if they don't have the exact answer they can have enough information to assist with your analysis. At minimum, it will allow you to write a better question and get better answers.

There is a good blog about this on SCN and many other helpful posts on how to search more efficiently and make the best use of SCN.

P.S. Even if you googled "where to ask basic questions site:sap.com" you would've found this post, for example:

Former Member
0 Kudos

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=013447253335410278659:k8ob9ipscwg

Debra,

The above linked Google query is my first stop for SAP questions, whether basic or not. If it is not a brand new solution/ release/ SP, it is likely that someone here or elsewhere already asked or discussed it.

Good luck in your SAP learning journey!

Gretchen