Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Management Tool with biartolive mode

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade from BO XI3.1(RTM version) to BO 4.2 SP2. We have separate servers for source and target.

Contents to migrate:

Universe : 210

Connection: 200

WebI: 250 out of 1000

Xcelsius Dashboard : 100 out of 170

Users: 15

Groups: 15

As we do not want to migrate all of the contents, we are planning a biartolive deployment scenario.

Is it safe to use UMT with biartolive mode to migrate the contents in a set of small biar files? Or we should consider to cleanup the source first and perform a complete migration ?

The biar files to be created using Import wizard in BOXI3.1 client.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

doing a cleanup before is always a good idea. I recommend the use of the Query Builder for that kind of activity. You can check which reports didnt run for a long time etc. Afterwards do a complete migration.

With regards to your source System. BOE XI 3.1 RTM is a supported version to upgrade from to BI 4.2 SP02. Nevertheless there where a lot of improvements done with regards to the Import Wizard till the latest Version BOE XI 3.1 SP7. If you have the time in your Upgrade project i would recommend you apply SP7 first on your BOE XI 3.1 Environment and afterwards start the upgrade. By that you overcome potentials issues in the Import Wizard. You propably can upgrade directly from BOE XI 3.1 RTM to BOE XI 3.1 SP7. Without knowing it i guess you have to do the following way:

BOE XI 3.1 RTM -> BOE XI 3.1 SP3

BOE XI 3.1 SP3 -> BOE XI 3.1 SP5

BOE XI 3.1 SP5 -> BOE XI 3.1 SP7

When you start to work with the UMT, please consider the UMT Best Practices documented in Note 1904841.

Regards

-Seb.

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Finally, we have decided to do a cleanup in source and perform a complete migration.

I agree that the RTM version in source is a big reason to worry, but we have a very strict timeline of this activity and we have planned to go ahead accepting the risk.

0 Kudos

Hi,

i thing thats the best approch. Please note that you can "overcome" this UMT limitation with the complete migration by installing the UMT on a separate Windows Box. This Box is than part of your Cluster.

With that you can even do an incremental Upgrade beside the fact that your target BI 4.2 Environment is on Linux.

Regards

-Seb.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you want to go with the approach biar to live? Why don't you use UMT with incremental upgrade and select only the content you need to migrate using live to live?

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, in linux server this approach does not work as per documentation.