cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect gateway with non-SAP application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

we are trying to connect our gateway system with a non SAP application which provides REST services, no OData.

Only info I got so far:

"If there is no OData service from the Non-SAP backend, we need to define a Backend Operation proxy

(BOP) to consume the Web Service from the Non-SAP backend as discussed in the below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_gateway20sp06/helpdata/en/64/472d8e21a342ba9d83e403ff4cd9db/frameset.htm"

Searching the forum I only found some old non working links. Also the Help Portal page on how to create BOPs

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_gateway20sp08/helpdata/en/3a/8e956126d741d183b93fa87f30c857/content.htm...

doesn`t fit our spro configuration options.

Any help on how to connect the 3rd party system is appreciated.

Thanks,

Oezlem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

phani_poorna
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ozlem,

We too have a similar kind of requirement using a central hub deployment to consume external restful services. Could you please let me know how you people progressed for this requirement design?

Regards

Phani Poorna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

you  need you connect your hcp and hcc accounts as usual, assign authorizations GW_Admin and GW_User to your user in hcp and configure the "OData Provisioning" service in hcp by adding correct destination. After that you should be able to go to Odata Provisioning service and register a service from your backend system.

This Odata service can be used in WebIDE (which is not working for us).

Be aware that the config does not include SAP Fiori standard apps. It only assures that OData services can be used in webide. For standard Fiori apps you have to "buy" Fiori, cloud edition.

Regards,

Oezlem

phani_poorna
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ozlem,

Thank you for the overview.

Without using HCP, can we go for on premise central hub deployment to consume external REST services?

And coming to HCP can you provide the tips to add destination for a JAVA applicaiton.

Because i am not able to add the destination.

vamsixk
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have worked on a requirement where we consume data from a NON-SAP system using SOAP protocol. Certain WSDls were exposed.

We just had to configure a service consumer in the Hub.  This automatically generates classes in the system which can in turn be invoked wherever required to access the data from the Non-SAP system.

Kind Regards,

Vamsi

phani_poorna
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vamsi,

Thank you for the info. We checked that option actually using WSDL(SOAP)

But our service is WADL(REST). Hence it dint worked. Regarding the process flow, have you created a ODATA service using that service consumer in the hub?

Kindly suggest me for consuming WADL service

Regards

Phani Poorna

vamsixk
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

I have not worked with WADl services, but i would suggest that you take a look at the below link.

byPaul J. Modderman

As per the process flow

Yes we have created an OData Service to consume an external service and return the data to the UI.

We just have to instantiate the generated classes within our DPC to retrieve the data from the non-SAP system.

i have used the below approach to consume our restful services.

Consume Odata Service in ABAP CL_HTTP_CLIENT->CREATE_BY_DESTINATION

this was used to consume an OData Service. But as detailed in the Blog by Paul J. Modderman  the approach can be used to consume any external restful service.

let me know in case i can be of any further help.

Kind Regards,

Vamsi

Message was edited by: Vamsi Krishna C V

phani_poorna
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ozlem

Are you developing Fiori app for SAP Sourcing/CLM system by any chance?

Regards

Phani Poorna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Atanu and Arka!

I was just wondering as especially "My Inbox" information is saying that also 3rd party application workitems can be processed. Guess it is a special case.

former_member184867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are right, My Inbox is a an application which is designed to pull workflow tasks from different sources. By default it supports SAP business workflow and integration with BPM is also provided because by the BPM handler. However it is open for integration with any other third party source with some additional development effort.

But as you have rightly said it is a special app targeted for such scenario, but not a common pattern for all the apps.

0 Kudos

Hi Ozlem,

Completely agree with Atanu. Gateway is meant to connect external consumers with the SAP world using Odata services. Just consuming an external service using gateway should not be an approach and will not be a good/recommended design. You may have a requirement where data needs to be merged from SAP and an external service before exposing through gateway where this approach as mentioned by Atanu could come in handy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Arka

former_member184867
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gateway essentially deals with OData, however the support for consumption of external odata is very limited rather minimal. By nature Gateway does not allow  consumption of Pure Rest(not Odata) services.

However you can achieve this using code based approach in the Gateway classes. You can invoke Rest services using RFC and get the data in DPC and finally map it to Gateway entity.

However this should  be validated against your requirements and checked further. You may run into performance issues as well.

This blog explains the process in detail