cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect between CR and SQL Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recently have started using SQL Server for my databases… when it came time for me to run some reports in Crystal I cannot get a connection.  I have Crystal Reports 2013 and SQL Server 2012.  I have Googled and YouTube to death any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the error message you get when running the report?

Also I hope that you have created a 32bit ODBC system DSN connection for the report?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the late reply I had to turns things off yesterday.  I have attempted to make a DSN connection. From the Administrative tools>Data Sources (ODBC)>System DSN, with all different kinds of selections relating to SQL server and Crystal Reports.  I don't want to send you snapshots of all my configuration settings for each one but every time that I hit test connection it failed. My PC is a (Windows 7 64 bit), not sure what or how to create a 32bit ODBC system DSN connection.  Have a good day.

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The location for 32 bit ODBC is c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. by default the ODBC opens is 64 bit, which would not work with CR.

The same sort of 32 bit ODBC needs to be created on the BO server as well to make the report work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thanks you will work on that when I get home have a good day.  They give you so many choices.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just wanted to give you a qk update I see where you instructions got me a connection to SQL server but it was not the same as connecting to ms ACCESS (where the process to connect walked me through the the ACCESS database,, have a good evening not giving up I can't )

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

its a good practice to connect Crystal Reports to MS Access database via an ODBC connection. Then use it in the report.

Another reason for doing this is on the BO server if the same location is not available then you only need to create an ODBC connection with the same name and Crystal Report will pick the connection automatically. As the database configuration is done with the same connection name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem solved!!!!! Database Expert>New Connection>OLE DB (ADO)>OLE DB Provider>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server>(make sure that your server name is the correct one!. I had to run a SQL statement for server name on my PC

SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS 'Server Name';

The name of the Server that I was using was wrong.

Select Integrated security> then in the Database section when you select the down arrow the SQL database/s will appear.  Amen thanks for the help. Good night

Answers (0)