cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO 4.1 Promotion Job Pending

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus,

I create a promotion job and add some reports in it. But after I click promote, nothing happened.

The history of the job remains Pending.

The Last Run of the job remains NULL. The job doesn't run at all.

I checked the status of the servers containing the Promotion Management Services and the Promotion Management Scheduling Services.

They are working fine.

What could be the problem's root cause?

we are using BO 4.1 SP7.

Thank you!

Chong

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

former_member198540
Participant
0 Kudos

try to do this via command line. its more fast and no timeouts

0 Kudos

Hi Chong,

Are you trying to promote the objects using source environment CMC or destination?

Try using CMC of both environments and check the issue.

Additionally, Is there any firewall between source and destination? if yes, Disable it?

Make sure you have enough temp space on the server where you have tomcat and BO Servers running.

The objects which you are trying to promote are they working fine in source environment?

Regards,

Tanveer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

for the APS splitting, I can see it on both DEV and PRD server.

It's done by installation. The APS.core contains the Promotion Management Service and the AdaptiveJobServer contains the Promotion Management Scheduling Service.

And I see that in APS.core, the Promotion Management Service has no configuration property.

How could I enable the logging for it?

And is it necessary to remove the current APS server and recreate new?

I have a feel that it's not about the APS issue. But I can't think of any other potential causes.

Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chong,

Are you running your environment on windows environment ?

if yes us the upgrade management tool on your dev or prod servers and then create a biar file with the content.

Then use that biar file on the promotion management of your dev or prod to promote it to the prod and lets see how it works.

Let me know if this clicks.

Regards,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

we are running on AIX server.

And our BO version is 4.1 sp7.

The servers in CMC is created by the installation

SP7 splits the APS by the installation.

So I think it's not the APS issue.

I can export a lcmbiar file, but when importing the file, the job also remains pending.

Please suggest any other causes to investigate.

Regards,

Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this behaviour happening only when you move the content from DEV to PROD ?

or from any other environment to PROD (say for example QA to PROD)

Can you expedite that and let me know ?

Regards,

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

we have only 2 servers, DEV and PROD.

I can export the DEV's or PROD's objects to a LCMBIAR file using PROD's promotion jobs.

But when I try to import the LCMBIAR file to DEV or PROD , the job is pending ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you see in the /var/adm/ras/errlog ?

Also trace the job server to check if there is any useful info.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found that some log files will be created after I promote the promotion job.

the file has about 10000 lines, it's too long to paste here, and I don't know how to upload a file. So I snapshot the top 20 lines

The file /var/adm/ras/errlog is 1024 KB , And it has special characters when I use editor software.

How do I share the file to you?

Regards,

Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chong,

I suggest you create an incident with SAP support and attach these logs as this issue might need further investigation.

Thanks,

Swapnil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chong,

1) Try promoting the same content by creating another job , if this does not work.

2)Then try promoting other content and then if this works fine , then we can figure out this is a server problem or content problem.

3)you can also try creating lcmbiar file for the same content and then promote it.

if nothing works enable logs for APS and then try reproducing the issue and send it to us for review.

Hope this at least helps you to drill down the issue.

Regards,

Suraj Patnaik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

1. I have created 3 jobs with different contents, none succeeded.

2. I can't add objects to promotion job when I create the job on my DEV server. But when I create the job (From DEV to PRD) on my PRD server, I can add object but the job remains pending and doesn't run actually.  If the job on PRD is from DEV to LCMBIAR file, I can run it and get a biar file, but when I import  the file on my PRD server, no objects is imported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I checked the disk and memory of the source and target servers and ok for all.

I also restarted the APS and tried again, but still no luck.

One thing I should let you know is that when I created the promotion job on DEV server , I can't add objects, because the right panel is empty.

If I created the promotion job on PRD server , I could add objects from DEV server , but the job doesn't run, it remains pending....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chong,

Create a new AJS and APS from scratch with all the default services and try it again.

I suspect that issue is with APS and AJS.

Regards,

Mithilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mithilesh,

what do you mean by "from scratch"?  do you mean the system config wizard?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not system config wizard..!!

Goto CMC -> Servers -> Create Server -> Create new APS and AJS.

Once servers are created, stop old AJS and APS publishing server.

And see if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mithilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mithilesh,

I create a NEW AJS and aps

But I still can't see any objects when I want to add objects to promotion job.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kindly stop the old APS and AJS and see if it helps.

If in case the same issue is seen, confirm the behavior with Administrator user if he is getting the same issue.

If this issue is user specific then could be rights related.

Regards,

Mithilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mithilesh,

I want to confirm one thing, that is which services I should contain in one server to make the promotion run?

I think they are Promotion Management Service and Promotion Management Scheduling Service.

As long as I have one server containing the 2 services running well, the promotion should be working well. Am I right?

Regards,

Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chong,

Only Promotion Management Service is responsible for promotion jobs.

Also Adaptive Job Server is required to schedule/run Promotion jobs.

Regards,

Mithilesh

0 Kudos

Hello Wang,

Yes , its good way to split separate APS for LCM services.

We need to split the default APS as recommended by SAP to improve the system performance.

1694041 - BI 4.x Consulting:- How to size the Adaptive Processing Server (APS)

Look at the above note which have more details of APS split and the benefits and best ways

Former Member
0 Kudos

Offcourse APS splitting is best Vissu...!!

Actually, I asked Chong to create new APS with default services just to confirm if there is any issue with existing Promotion Management service or something else is causing issue.

Regards,

Mithilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chong,

Try restarting your Adaptive Job Server and Adaptive Processing Service containing promotion management service.

If the issue remains, you can try creating above servers from scratch and see if it helps.

If again the issue persists, this needs to be investigated by looking into the traces.

Regards,

Mithilesh

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you also check if any concurrent jobs were running at the same time or might be the case the jobs got hung in running state and due to which all the jobs are going in Pending state.

Check via instance manager at the first place to confirm.

0 Kudos

Hello,

1) Can you restart the APS which holding Promotion Management service and see?

2) Also while promoting the job login with different user to the target environment and try to promote the same.

Thanks,

Viswa.

0 Kudos

Hi,

there are some SAP Notes available about that topic, please search the SAP KB.

Are you using Windows AD Authentication? If yes you have to configure the Job Server accordingly. There is also a SAP Note available for that.

Regards

-Seb.

former_member182373
Participant
0 Kudos

Chong,

One reason for this can be lack of space on either the source or target BO Servers.

Ask your Basis guys to check space.

Thanks

Tony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

Do you mean disk space or memory space?

I checked but neither disk or memory is full.

Actually the DEV and PRD server are new installation and I'm trying to promote only 1 universe and 5 reports(for an example).