cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciate addition over remaining useful life of original asset

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an existing asset that was capitalised 01.Feb.2015 with a 3 year useful life, say for example with an original value of $900.

I then wish to make an addition to the original asset of $500 via a sub-asset, and want to depreciate this evenly over the remaining useful life of the original asset, in the case of from 01.Aug,2016, that would be over 18 months.

I would expect there to be a monthly increase of $27.77 in depreciation for the depreciation of the addition.

How do I get this to be the case in SAP?

Using LINA or LINR key doesn't seem to work, and I cannot select the useful life of the sub asset in months, only in full years.

Please help advise how this can be achieved?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

According to me, as you have created the Sub Asset, the sub asset and the main asset are 2 different assets and are not dependent on each other. So in you case I think the option would be to assign the LINR Depreciation key and the useful life to be 1.5 years.

Regards,

Malhar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Malhar is correct. I didn't realize the additional acquisition value is booked to a subasset. If the additional value was booked to the main asset, there would be no issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello E Private,

When you add new value to an existing asset that is already depreciating the depreciation engine will recalculate the planned values. There a couple of ways you can correct your issue to get the desire result.

So it's already depreciated for 18 periods.

As seen below:

You should create a new straight-line depreciation key and assign it to the asset.

To create the new dep key go to  transaction code AFAMA and create a new key as follows.

Test this out and let me know how it goes.