cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Refresh using DB2 Redirect Restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am new to this area and will be performing system refresh using backup/restore for the very first time. To my knowledge below are the summarized steps for the same-

1.Generate a script using brdb6brt in the source system

2.Modify the script with backup/timestamp and other details.

3.Drop the existing database in the target system.

4.Restore the database using the source system backup.

5.Apply the logs to roll forward.

6.Create source system users to connect to the database.

Now I need some clarification on the below points--

1.Is it not possible to keep the same SID in the target system after restore as it was before? For my case I want to restore system CRD using the backup of PRD. So after restore will there be the same sid and schema as it is now i.e. CRD and sapcrd or the same will be changed to PRD and sapprd?

I have checked the note 713524 which says "renaming of a schema is not supported by db2.For this reason the old schema name must be used after a system copy with backup restore". That means I need to create sapprd and db2prd users in the target system to connect with the database.

Is there any way to continue using the same schema/DB SID after the redirect restore? My target sap system is already installed and I just need a system refresh with the data of PRD.

2.I will be using an online backup of the source system for redirect restore. But I don't want to roll forward the database as the related sap system is used as sandbox and no need of keeping the system with most recent up to date data. So where I need to change in the script so that it doesn't ask for a rollforward.

Please suggest.

Best Regards,

Debaditya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Debaditya,

Please update your status or else please close this thread marking correct or helpful answers of this thread.

Thanks,

Kaushik

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Debaditya,

Here are two option that you can consider:-

1. In case following System-copy Export-Import, The target & Source SID can be same, Also say you are doing a refresh for your existing CRD, so here you can give the new SID as CRD or a totally ne SID, no issue.

2. In new SWPM, there is a SYSTEM RENAME option, in case you have already done a system-copy & would like to change into the old SID or to any SID---just for your knowledge. Here just need to have the DB Cntrl Files generated earlier

Below links can be helpful here:-

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiV8YDTuu...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Additionally, the information in the below link may also help you.

IBM Knowledge Center

Copy your SAP ERP system across platforms using DB2 redirected restore

Regards,

Ganesan

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Debaditya,

1. As you know, change database schema is not possible using redirect restore method. You do not need to create OS user sapprd in target system.

If you want to keep schema/SID (assuming the same SAP SID and DB SID are used in target system as what you did in original production), just use the traditional recovery method.

2. You do not need to roll forward to latest state, but to a consistent state.

Regards,

Ning