cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report gives different data for different users whose settings are same

tim_harper
Explorer
0 Kudos

We recently moved from one enterprise software package to another and are recreating the Crystal Reports that were in use. During this process we are looking much closer at the data being presented due to concern that the new system may not have the correct data after migration.

We have a report on a network share that returns the correct data when User A runs the report but does not return the same data on one particular field for User B or User C. We have checked all of the Crystal Report settings to ensure that they are the same. We have checked all of the Select and Group criteria to ensure that they are the same. We have gone to great lengths to make sure that we are comparing apples to apples – to no avail. Not surprisingly, exporting the SQL query from User B or User C machines and running in SQL gives the correct data.

We turned off the “Save Data with Report” option based on a post found elsewhere and it seemed to work briefly for User B, but a later refresh of the data now returns the “bad” data. It is interesting however that when User B or User C change the Select Criteria to only show one of the records with the bad data (below: EquipmentandCollateralReportingVW.AssetNumber} = 4953), the field shows the correct data.

//{EquipmentandCollateralReportingVW.AssetNumber} = 4953 and

{UNI_UDF_InventoryVW.Inventory Type} = "Inventory" and
{UNI_UDF_InventoryVW.Availability Status} <> "Voided" and
{EquipmentType.descr} = "Straight Truck New" and
{Equipment.EquipmentStatusOid} = 131.00 //Pending

We believe that the problem is due to data cached on the machines but have been unable to determine where it is cached. In addition, we believe the problem may manifest itself when one user has the report open and another tries to access it while it is open. However, the last item is just a theory since User B saw the correct data when they first ran the report but User C did not when they ran it (while User B had it open).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

First info that's missing the version of Crystal Reports?

Second what database are you using and what Client and are they both the same on all PC's?

Don

tim_harper
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sorry Don, that information was hidden in the tags. We are running Crystal Reports XI. User B and C have 11.0.0.895. User A is running (11.0.0.1282). The data is on a SQL 2012 server. As stated in my note, when we export the query from CR to SQL and run it on the SQL server - the correct data is returned.

UPDATE:

This appears to be a version issue. I found two additional users one with version 11.0.0.895 and one with version 11.0.0.1282. The user with the 895 version saw the bad data. The user with version 1282 saw the correct data. Any information as to why this would occur would be helpful. The hypothesis about the file being open was weakened due to the second user (11.0.0.1282) opening the report while the first user (11.0.0.895) had the report open and still receiving the correct data. NOTE: I am assuming (maybe mistakenly) that version 11.0.0.895 is a higher version based on the 8 being greater than the 1 and not the 1282 being a larger number. If this is incorrect, please let me know. It may seem obvious to some, but I have (unfortunately) run across companies where the 895 would be the newer version.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

XI is a really old version that went out of support before SQL Server 2012 came out.  I would, at the very least, upgrade all of the users to SP6 of XI r2.  This is also out of support, but is also an update to the version I have.  You can get to the (free) update download here: 

-Dell

tim_harper
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Thank you for the information, it was helpful to find out how old the version we have is and the link was awesome in explaining the version history and the dates that each version's support expired. I further researched and see that CR 2016 will expire regular support in 2020, if we decide to go that direction.

I was able to download and install the CR XI R2A SP4 and SP6. I now have version 11.5.12.1838 installed, however, it too is reporting the incorrect data.

REVIEW OF STEPS:

1. Uninstalled 11.0.0.895 and installed version 11.0.0.1282. RESULT: Report shows correct data.

2. Uninstalled 11.0.0.1282, rebooted. Installed CR XI R2A SP4, rebooted, installed SP6, rebooted. RESULT: Report shows incorrect data.

This is extremely disconcerting and makes me question whether or not we should even be using Crystal Reports if it cannot show the correct data. I know we could upgrade to 2016 but if 2 old versions show incorrect data (and no explanation as to why can be given) how am I to trust that investing thousands of dollars in a new version will give us the correct data in a report? Is this User Group (or whatever it is) monitored by SAP or is this just a community of users helping each other out? If the latter, I greatly appreciate the fact that there are so many dedicated users. If the former, then please provide a response as to why version 11.0.0.895 and 11.5.12.1838 do not return correct data in a report, but version 11.0.0.1282 does.

Basically, I am left with 4 options.

1. Uninstall my current version 11.5.12.1838 and install version 11.0.0.1282. Confidence level: medium since it returns the correct data in one report, but leaves the question what other problems might not be corrected.

2. Uninstall my current version 11.5.12.1838 and see if version CR XI R2A SP4 shows me the correct data. Confidence level: low since the SP6 version returns incorrect data.

3. Upgrade to CR 2016 and see if it shows me the correct data. Confidence level: medium, however, this option requires approval and testing ($$$).

4. Start using SSRS to create reports and see if it returns the correct data. Confidence level: High since I already know that the SQL query returns the correct data, but would require a re-training of too many people.

tim_harper
Explorer
0 Kudos

UPDATE:

I uninstalled SP6 and am now at version 11.5.10.1263. The report still shows the incorrect data. So option 2 above has been eliminated. My short term solution is to reinstall version 11.0.0.1282 but I would still like answers so that I can attempt to find a longer term solution.

UPDATE 2:

We happened to have an unused CR 2013 license. I installed CR 2013 SP2 and the report gives the correct data. Upgraded the SP2 to SP8 (latest) and the report gives the correct data. Since it is budget create time for FY2017, we have added CR upgrades to our budget.

It would still be nice to know, though, why the one version (11.0.0.1282) shows correct data while the 895 and newer versions did not. Thanks!

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There may be a conflict between the version of Crystal and the database drivers that you're using that's causing the problem.  There may be other issues, but the version of Crystal is old enough that nothing would be fixed in it if we determined what the actual problem was.

-Dell

0 Kudos

The likely problem is MS 2012 does not fully support MDAC drivers. So when you created your DSN you likely used the Native SQL driver. 2008 has a Native 10 driver and 2012 has a Native 11 client dll.

If you search MS's forums you'll find the MDAC driver does not fully support all feature of SQL 2008 and above.

Upgrade CR 2013 or above then it supports the Native 10/11 clients. CR XI R2 ( any version ) was never updated to support the new MS Clients.

Don

Answers (0)