cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LE-MOB Which RF Hardware to choose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looking to implement WM with RF functionality (GUI Based).

Looking for (recommendations) the top RF hardware devices that sync with SAP LE-MOB ?

Does anyone have some experience they share here please

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it all depend on the requirement and budget. Few of the company are motorolla(Symbol), Intermac, LXE which device you can have a look (Motorolla MC9090 are most widely used wherever I worked but again you can have a look on detail with your requirement before final decision)

former_member234835
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

raghug
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Motorola acquired Symbol technologies which has in turn been acquired by Zebra. LXE, Intermec and Dolphin have been acquired by Honeywell.

Most of these devices can be used interchangeably and I have even used mixed devices in the same landscape. Quality-wise, I think they are all just about the same. If you are purchasing through a distributor with a support contract, the most important factor the distributor's reputation.

Things to consider when making a decision, other than cost -

• Scanner type - I have seen many people look at everything else and forget this one. Make sure the scanner works in your environment. Here are some thoughts
    • Laser - works better in doors than in high illumination outdoors. Most (not all) lasers are limited to linear (1D) barcodes.
    • Imager - They work well indoors, but better than laser outdoors. There is an aiming laser which can be inconsistent and frustrate users (this has not been that big an issue in the last couple of years for me). They can also deal with 2D (datamatrix, QR, PDF417) barcodes.
    • Range - Most scanners have a range they work in. Some work only up to 2 feet - approx 60 cm, the mid-range work up to several feet (usually about 5-10) and the long range can easily scan appropriately sized barcodes at 35 feet or over. The Intermec CK71 devices use imagers that can scan from 1-35 feet, this is my personal favorite because I can use the same device at my desk while testing and then walk into a warehouse and scan a high-rack label.
  • Usage
    • How much scanning - most of these devices are pretty slow compared to a modern phone or computer. If there is going to be rapid scanning, set up a test system and insist on testing rapid scanning with the exact part number (not model) you are going to purchase. Within the same model number, there could be variations in processor speed, memory, etc which make 2 identical looking devices perform completely different.
    • Battery life - the Zebra (now, previously symbol 9090 and then Motorola MC9090) MC9090 and the Honeywell (Intermec) CK71 are the most commonly used, and their batteries typically last about one 8 hour shift. If you are deploying several units on a multi-shift company, make sure there are docking / charging stations that can charge more than one battery at a time... and of course make sure the battery is easily changeable.
    • Handheld vs Truck Mount
      • With handhelds, you can get a standard handheld computer that you would hold sort of like a big Blackberry device or a pistol grip. Some devices can be configured with the pistol grip optionally.
    • With Truck Mount, I have worked with a couple of customers who used relatively inexpensive Windows tablets in a hard case mounted with a Ram mount instead of dedicated industrial devices. These would work with Bluetooth handheld scanners.
    • Hazardous environments usually need specially certified units which are more expensive

Most of these device work well with both SAPConsole and ITS Mobile. I would highly recommend using a third party industrial browser like Wavelink or Naurtech. It makes several things much easier, such as, working with multiple systems (DEV, QA, PROD), Beeping and halting the scanner on errors, security, etc. I have also found them more stable than the hardware manufacturer provided browsers. Here, I did make this assumption that you are not planning to build a full interface on the device yourself or use a third party solution.

If you have any special considerations that you are looking, that you want an opinion on, I will be glad to help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is excellent feedback Guys - thank you very much